What ZTR do you recommend ??

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Whiteagle3, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Whiteagle3

Whiteagle3 LawnSite Member

I have 2 1/2 acres that needs maintaining, and are on the market for a new riding mower. I've check out different makes, and am interested in a SCAG Tiger Cub 25hp/61" deck. The only thing is, the price is pretty steep. ($7500)

I'd like your input to help me decide which is the best model to purchase. (SCAG, FERRIS, JOHN DEERE, etc.) This only for home owner use, but we believe we want to invest in something that will last us for 10 years down the road.

Thank you in advance for your help.

John White

2. JohnatAllBrite

JohnatAllBrite LawnSite Member

I have used a Grasshopper 61inch diesel since 1986 with a vac attachment. Got 10 years out of the 1986 model using it commercially.... Have 7 years on my 96 model now, even less wear & more technology but they are pricey about 13k
    A good option would be to look for something slightly used by someone going out of business (usually Nov.dec.jan.feb) is a great time to look for used stuff. Good luck

3. hc841

hc841 LawnSite Member
    from oh

SCAG, FERRIS, GRASSHOPPER, ARE ALL GOOD MOWERS. A GOOD WAY TO FIND A GOOD MOWER IS TO TAKE NOTICE WHAT A MAJORITY OF THE LANDSCAPERS HAVE ON THEIR TRAILORS IN YOUR AREA. I BET IT'S NOT JOHN DEERE.,,,

4. Chief

Chief LawnSite Member

What kind of problems/issues do John Deeres have? I was considering eventually a 757 or 768. The dealers in my area could not keep the 757's on the lot and had waiting lists to get them. I have checked one out and tested it and was impressed with how well built they are. The price is a bit touchy to get past.

5. turfmower

turfmower LawnSite Member

Toro's and Exmarks are what most people have here. I have a toro. I would never buy a scag again. They do not stand behind their equipment. I had scag turfrunner multiple gear box fails before they put shear bolt in design, Cracked fame, weekly calls to distributer and factor, poor design, I did get the owner of scag on phone one day told me to F my self. 8600 dollar machine sits dead in my shop with 350 hours on it.

6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Bought my JD 757 last year and am VERY impressed with it! Built like a tank. Gives a wonderful cut. 25hp Kawi V-twin, very smooth, starts easily, and is real powerful (BTW, I'm partial to Kawasaki). Yep its a little pricey, but don't be sittin in yer garage after you spent thousands on a mower you didn't really want wishin you'd gotten the real thing.
    But realistically, you should buy the mower which is backed by the best service department and can keep you running. You can't go wrong with Exmark either. Exmark is my second choice.
    John Deere is my favorite, and it happens that I have 4 JD dealers within 30 minutes, and the one closest, well. . ., I couldn't ask for better service. If you are thinking about a Deere, do it.

7. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark Lazer = proven product

8. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

What about the Gravely line of ZTR's? :)
    Craig

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Any of these.

smaller 664.jpg

10. TRAVCO

TRAVCO LawnSite Member

Go with EXMARK they are awesome mowers and there customer service is the best in the business.