what ztr has the best cut quality??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by urbanlandscape.mn, Jul 5, 2006.

1. urbanlandscape.mn

urbanlandscape.mn LawnSite Member

Looking to buy a new ztr. I am thinking scag or toro?? I have toro/ lesco mowrs now. What do you like or have heard about commercial ztrs

2. Grounds Keeper

Grounds Keeper LawnSite Member

Best way to tell is to demo each one for 1 day on your route / Scag & Toro are both good , I have a Toro ( 27h.p. / 52" ) changed the pto clutch today...$300 has 550 hours on it ...not too impressed with that! also have an Exmark with 2000 hours ( 18 h.p. / 44" ) ... in those 2000 hours, I've changed the belt 2 times & deck pulley's 3 times.. ( open pulleys, got rained on) has the original spark plugs & starts with a touch of the switch. only problem with exmark in my opinion is that you can't grease the spindles. hope this helps!

3. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Do a search on this subject. You will find about a weeks worth of reading on this question.

4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have two Scag ztrs and have been please with the cut and durability. We replaced a clutch on one at 600hrs (weak clutch from factory) and a few belts. The main thing with any mower is to do preventive maintenance and most will last a long time. We also have a great Scag dealer that care of us if we have a problem. We have Toro 21's and a Toro 37" midsize. Toro also makes good equipment, just find a good local dealer whatever you buy.

5. poonero

poonero LawnSite Member
    from ny

the chicken or the egg?

6. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

i have had great service out of my scag, i have 25 accounts a week and 290 hrs. and no problems yet. its like they say its all in how you maintain your equipment!

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

finally a new topic on LS!..................hahahahhahahaha, do a search, youll find millions of posts about this! welcome to LS though!!! its great here

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

As many years as I've been reading the post on Lawsite and other sites the Exmark Ultra Cut deck has gotten better reviews overall than any other deck, hands down. They Changed the deck this year but you can still find some 05 models in the showroom if you check around. Scag's new deck seems to be a good one, Hustler has had some problems with Northern grass, Exmarks new deck (Triton) has had problems with Northern grasses. All I can say is try before you buy in the worst possible conditions, wet, lush, tall grass and see how they preform in your area. Right now my money would be on an Ultra Cut Exmark or the new Scag deck. Maybe Hustler with the fix added. No one is going to agree on this subject.

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Everybody will tell you to try before you buy. Well that doesnt fly here. Nobody will let you try a mower period. They will let you drive it around but you can not enguage the blades.

Now my suggestion would be to check out Cub commercial Tanks, Gravely, Hustler, Bob-cats and toro's. Go look them over very good. Check out things like ease of maintenance, over all design and make sure the dealer will be there to support you in a hurry if you have a problem. Then and only then should you make your decision.

10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Gravely 100 & 200 series or Lesco Z two.