What ZTR has the heaviest duty, most durable spindles?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rochenyguy, Aug 15, 2005.

1. rochenyguy

rochenyguy LawnSite Member

I hear lots from dealers about how great their spindles are, thick diameter, better bearings, etc. What's the real truth out there?

Considering JD 757, Toro Z500 series, Exmark, Hustler Super Z, Ferris IS 3000, and Everride Warrior.

Which has got the heaviest duty/best spindles/bearings that can take an occasional run-in with gopher holes, and occasional rock, etc. with least likelihood of bending/damage?

What brand ztr's are the most prone to spindle/bearing damage?

Looking at the above with 60" decks by the way.

Thanks for helping out this newbie.
  2. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Scag has got some pretty heavy ones. :)
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Let's put it this way, as long as you don't do stupid things the Scag spindles will be with you a long time.
  4. sda1416

sda1416 LawnSite Member

The spindles on my Toro have been bullet proof so far, knock on wood. The turbo force deck is nice too, can plow through tall,wet grass, no problem.
  5. aklandscape

aklandscape LawnSite Member

check out toro's web site. They have a video clip of them sticking a big chunk of metal into the blade. They claim to have the heaviest spindles out there. I have the z500 and use the way you are discribing you want to use it.No problems with spindles yet.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Scag= some 1 top there warranty.
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

All of them are good
  8. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Anybody seen the new Hercules spindle by Ferris? The housing is huge and the bearings look like they belong on a F-350 front axle. I got to see Ferris's factory this past weekend while visiting NY.
  9. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

i have a 2002 Exmark LazerHP (52) right now. There are no grease fittings on it at all. I do have 500+ hours on it and no problems.

However....I am taking delivery of a new Scag Wildcat in about a week and already I am really pleased with the design of their spindles. Grease fittings with a small release point so you can't over grease? Sounds good to me. And, I hear their warranty is pretty decent as well.
  10. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Toros have some pretty tuff spindles. and if i recall rite you get a 2 year warrenty also (maybe one not really sure)