what ztr would you buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mobileboy, Jun 3, 2008.

1. mobileboy

mobileboy LawnSite Member

I've got 5000 to spend on a small ztr. Want a deck less than 48 so I can get in back yards. What do you guys recommend. Will be used for light commercial.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Get a hydraulic-power floating deck Wb with a ride-on attachment instead, then thank yourself and stick the rest in the bank. That's what I would do, new Ztr's run more like 6-8 thousand... And you might see that 6 and start thinking your 5 will do, but they START at 6 and it goes up fast...

But for 4....ty...five hundred or thereabouts you should be able to get a super nice Walk Behind 48" with all the bells and whistles, might run you the whole 5 if you want hydro with velke and bagger and ocdc and the 2008 bikini calendar but...

I'd likely get a floating deck 48" Toro T-2, but that's just me.
    Doesn't much matter if it's hydro, you can almost get a walker...

Don't forget you still need almost a couple g's after that for 2-cyclers and hand tools, thou 1 g will do but it's awful tight.

3. Youngone07

Youngone07 LawnSite Member

Get a wright for sure ! On the website they have a "seasonal buying" program and you can get up to 17% off msrp!!! They are also very solid mowers

4. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I think one of those is going to be my next, that is once my Phazer reaches a certain point that it's more costly to own than run.

FYI, Topsy, A good hydro WB will run about the same $$$ wise to a mini Z + you have to add a velky and a bagger.

5. mobileboy

What do you guys think about SCAG? They have a small ZTR that's in my price range. It's marketed to home owners, but is commercial quality. 5149 with Kaw engine.

6. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

36" Bobcat Fastcat for only 4,300---not a bad machine!

7. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

The 36" Fastcat is a great machine for small residential and great for fenced areas BUT the property better be perfectly flat or the machine is useless. Will not hold the slightest of slopes and becomes a handfull real quick. Demoed one for a week or so a couple years ago when they first came out and took it back.

I would look for a good walk behind and save your $$$

8. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

hustler mini z or fastrack

9. mobileboy

What is the average annual maintenance expense for a mini z? Any one have any brand specific experience with this? Thanks!

10. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member