What!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clay duncan, Apr 26, 2005.

1. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i drove past one of my residential accounts today and could not believe my eyes. this pita customer of mine had somebody there doing a mulch job. it was one of those throw it off the truck kind (no trenching) and where ever it lands that just got mulched. i have completely turned her yard around from a weed fest to the best looking yard on the street. i decided right then and there that she is fired. i am preparing her final bill and am trying to think of a way to tactfully tell her off. there really is no loyalty with people anymore. oh well live and learn....

2. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Hummmm is it just me now I'm not bash you nor anyone else but why should any one person give one person all there business ? Is it a rule ? In winter i sell coal and firewood but some people only get there wood or coal form me and the other form another guy i don't flip out and fire them ? its better the get something then nothing isn't it ? It's like saying to this guy i mowed you lawn 2 years ago you moved and now your back in town you HAVE to call me to care for you lawn and do you landscaping . Yes loyal costumers are grate but don't think they have to call you for every thing. And if you got you by the balls i would have stopped and kicked the guys ass and told him THIS IS MY LAWN GET OUT OF HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. cfosceola

cfosceola LawnSite Member

thats a little extreme dont you think. I did a mulch job for a guy right down the street from 2 of my customers. He came to me while I was doing there mulch job and asked me for a price, I offered my mowing services to him but he just signed on with someone else and I told him i didnt want to come in on someone elses territory and he said he didnt offer this service, so i gave him my card, gave him a price and did the mulch the following weekend. Did you offer this to her or has she ever asked you to do it, because alot of my customers think i just mow and dont know i offer other services, they find out by asking me if i know anyone who does this or that and i say yes, i do. most of the time they are very surprised.

4. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I find a lot of ppl on here to "cut" grass to be a lil childish with there "it's mine, it's all mine" rants about customers getting other companies to do work for them.

Cut the grass and get paid for what you are supposed to do, not what you didn't get asked to do.

5. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe she already fired him and he just doesn't know yet.

:p

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

buddy, this is why if they ask you to fart, you charge a nickle!. the guys that do the "little extras" for free, and bring in the garbage cans, are fools and suckers. imagine that, bringing in the garbage cans, i'll kick them into the street so i can clean the curb, but i wont drag them in for them.

7. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

eye to eye on this wow

8. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Just call me The Donald...You're FIRED.

I had a long time customer get quotes for a landscape job, asked me after she already received a few to quote...well I did and lost out. It was a $9000 job that got underbid by almost $3000 and the work is god awful. Do I get mad and fire her...no I just go about my "weedwacking" of her poorly constructed retaining walls.

9. Jeff@SGLC.ca

OH MY GOD Todd...we agree, let me go look outside to see if the sky is on fire or a pig is flying by.

10. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I'm going to assume that you never gave her a proposal to do the mulch. That said... You need to pre-sell all the services you offer before the season starts.