whatcha buy at MAHTS?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by bigviclbi, Feb 15, 2007.

1. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Got a pair of boots and a set of screed boards. Also if I go tomorrow I'd like to get the hammer that you use to "tumble" a cut wall block. I took it to the block and it did a good job, but bon tools was $105 and pavetechs which I didn't try was $75. Anybody have one of these suckers?

2. greenbottle27

greenbottle27 LawnSite Member

Nada. No pressing needs (thank goodness) yet!
    Well, besides the F350 crew that got totaled in an accident during the storm....ugh.
    I'm not counting the t-**** he bought me :eek:)

3. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

20 diamond blades, 2- 4" cups, and a Free Stihl cut saw.
    A weber reverisble plate compactor with wheels and paver pad.

4. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

Paver square pro and paver scribe

5. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

You gotta watch what Pave Tech sells. Some items are available locally. They love to tack on the high prices for us paver guys. I found their laser square online for 1/3 the price without the fancy Yellow paint.

6. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

Amen to that, i swear these guys think we are surgeons not hardscapers. some of the prices on this crap is outrageous. FYI the paver scribe, which i own, be careful of those cheap a$$ thumb screws on the clamps. i think the galvanizing and the aluminum react and fuse together. mine rusted to the aluminum and broke in side with no hope of getting it out. asked the pave tech rep at the show and said i could buy just the clamp part for $45!!!! :laugh: so not only is it overpriced but they don't stand behind their products whats so ever.

7. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Ha! well you know that fancy schmancy "finger tape" crap? it's nothing more than surgical tape. They actually use that blue tape in weight lifting and gymnastics. Some items are good like the 4x45 thinggy that allows you to mark a 6x9 or a Holland for cutting in half. I have a TON of Probst tools and the best one is the paver extractor. TIP: it works best if you flush the sand out between the pavers first! either using compressed air or water...weather permitting that is. I have the paver pounder...that works good as a mini jack hammer when you need to chip a stubborn foundation block thats interfering with your layout. The paver persuader, the adjusting bar (thats worth it) , paver paws (good for removing or installing soldier course). String line collars (great invention! - I know the inventor too) , I also have the paver scribe tool (keep them screws oiled!) and the paver marking tool.. I think it's called quick draw. (I still haven't figured out how to use it!) Now the ABSOLUTE BEST tool I have EVER EVER EVER owned besides my laser level, is the Dura-Rake by WW Manufacturing -Aka King of Spades. That is the BEST base rake in the world. It moves roadstone/QP so easily it's pathetic. One man can level an entire ton in about 10 minutes with that rake. (I use the 18" model) And...it's very light. Im amazed at how well it bites into the stone and moves it. It's also great for seeding and moving topsoil. I use nothing else. (hand tools that is).

8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Dissimiliar metals when in contact react and oxidize much faster than they normally would.:nono:

Just fought that problem on a bigger scale a couple of weeks ago- the front hub on my wife's truck (steel) was stuck in the steering knuckle (aluminum). Would have liked to drive up to Detroit to kick some engineer's a$$.

9. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I just use a mason hammer to tumble block. pavetechs looks like a meat tenderizer.