Whatcha think for a new guy?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the chance to bid on a set of properties thru a government agency/private company deal, as of now there are 34 country residential yards between 2-5 acres each and that number may increase as the year progresses... Since the state is paying the bills, any LCO that takes this contract must pay their employees union scale wages, since I am a solo operation, I don't have to worry about that...As a new guy with two accounts, is this something I should pursue as I feel I could give a very competitive bill because of labor costs...
  2. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

thats a lot of eggs in one basket...just be careful:angel:
  3. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree 100%.. I talked to the contact about doing a portion, perhaps two days worth, and they would rather not do that..The other negative is that this is a short term deal, eventually these homes will be torn down for a state project...The big positive is that this one account would fill my week and all of the homes are within 10 minutes of each other...
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

It would seem to me that if you get this contract, you will no longer be solo. According to you, that comes to between 68 and 170 acres. That's quite a bit for one guy...not to mention the couple of other properties you have.

just my thought.
  5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it will take up a lot of your time and you will probaly have to buy bigger equip & employees. Just My thoughts
  6. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

You might want to check the payment terms. Those kind of jobs sometimes have a long wait period. Easily could be bill only at the end of the month, and then another 30-60 days to get the check. But then again, they might be fast turnover. Some federal agencies now pay their regular bills with credit cards, then you have immediate pay. Check it out

Austreim Landscaping
  7. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

Any chance you could find another LCO that is starting out and sub out part of the lots to him, or co-op the job. That way you won't be so tied up that you can't develop any other customers. Going to really suck for you if you have all of the equipment and time invested in this and next year they go with someone else.