whatdoyado?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Schlepie, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

Well today was interesting. I had 2 clients with dogs in the back yard. One is a new client I just started with 2 weeks ago. Yard was due a mowing, asked the house keeper if the dogs can be put somewhere, she say's she'll call the owners......" he said just skip it this week".....Do whut? The next client has a new dog along with the old dog. Could'nt get in the back yard 2 weeks ago and just did the front. Dog in back,mean as ever this time again, so I didn't do front or back. Whats the best way to handle these. Do I need to call all my customers with dogs the day before I mow each time?, that would be a PITA

Schlep:confused:

2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

i've had the same problems and basically i cut what i could,made a call to the owner advised that the dog need to be put in so the service can be completed and go back and cut the rest..as for the owner of the other property telling you to skip because the dog cant go inside for 30 minutes well i would still bill for showing up.just my opinon...

3. gwwilson

gwwilson LawnSite Member

charge your rate, then leave. no big deal

4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Cut what you can, charge full price and scram. They'll figure it out sooner or later. I think it would be funny to see where someone had mowed just at the circumference of a dog chain. A perfect circle.

5. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

yep full price.. I don't care if I never make it off the trailer.. If I show up and animals are in the way, your still paying for it...

6. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Tell them that your insurance policy won't allow you to work around animals - and that regrettably, you have to charge them for a "cancelled appointment without notice".

7. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd suggest a combination of parts of all the above suggestions. But you're going to have to apply your own common sense as to what will work for you with these customers.

If you do make a trip just to find out that you can't mow, you need to get paid anyway, whether that will work with these people is an unknown, might tell you to take a hike.

Calling day before is a good idea.
    Even with the friendliest dog in the world, I will not mow if they are out. It's too inconvenient to make sure dog doesn't get out, opening and closing gates, etc, then what happens if dog does get out, nothing but bad news there.

Call each of these customers, or better, go by and talk to them, explain the problem, come to an understanding that will work for both you and them.
    If they give you a difficult time about it, you really ought to drop them and consider yourself better off.

8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We charge the same flat rate each month al year long. It doesn't matter if the dog is outside and we have to skip the back yard or some home construction going on that prevents us from mowing or there was a blizzard and we couldn't mow. They pay us the same rate no matter what happens.

I think having to call a day before is rediculous. If you keep forgetting to leave your garbage can out on garbage day does the garbage company call you the night before and say, "Now please remember to ...." Heck no! It's your responsibility to remember it. Same applies here. There's absolutely no reason for you to have to babysit them. It's utterly rediculous.

They pay the same whether the dog is out or not. If they forget to put him out and have to pay you the same for half the work that's just all that much more incentive for them to remember next time!

Here's a big tip for running a smooth LCO biz - DON'T BABYSIT YOUR CLIENTS! There are PLENTY of good, easy going, responsible clients out there who don't cause problems. Try to work challenges out in the beginning. But if they persist or if the client begins to blame you for something that they are failing to do, it's time to ditch them and move on.

9. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

One of my customers tells me to mow when thedog is in the back. I just go ahead and mow. But the dogs are real friendly so i never have any problems.

10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I would mow the back any ways. Think of it this way you would get it mowed alot quicker with a dog right on your azz! LOL

No bill them and go on. No worrys here.