whatever they can to get out of a clean-up charge

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by lawn_pro, Dec 27, 2005.

1. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

I was relaxing this afternoon, cleaning up some equipment and just doing nothing really when the phone rings, "can you come over this afternoon and clean up my leaves again?", sure why-not. We had already done (1) full clean-up late fall for this customer, so I knew it wouldn't be real bad. The clean-up took about an hour, the customer comes out and gives me a check for a regular mowing price and a $5 dollar bill for a christmas gift, I politely handed back the check and five bucks and told him he owed me a clean-up price. He said I had alot of nerve considering he was giving me 5 extra bucks.......it never ends, customers will use everything in the book to get out of the extra charge for clean-ups....after repeating myself over and over, he finally gave me another check and kept his five bucks....Would any else have done the same thing? or was this rude of me?

2. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

What is the difference in mowing/ clean-up charge? It might be a good idea to give him/her a price in advance next time to avoid an uncomfortable situation. Also giving them a bill might help.
    I don't know what I would have done, if it was close enough I might just let it go and tell them in advance next time. That is a tough situation.

3. lpwhandyman

lpwhandyman LawnSite Member

I would have done the same thing. You gave him prompt service and then they want to dictate their prices.....yeah right. Better yet, let them do it themselves and you pay them $ 5 to watch.

4. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

the customer was well aware of the different charges...

5. googles

googles LawnSite Senior Member

I have a bunch of client the perfer having it done in the beginning of cleanup time and then at the end. for example if i charge them 300 for the first cleanup the second cleanup at the same house would be maybe 100 since its a lot easier. but i would not take a mowing price. it is not worth my time, gas, and my time off to go out for one house. sh*$ i bet you lost money with the truck, dump, gas and bags and your time. dont feel bad you where right for requesting more. i would have let them know before i did it though becuase you never know if they will pull something like that.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

what was the difference in the price?

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I think you did the right thing, and no it was not rude.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I look at it this way, was there only a $15-$20 difference in price. If so, I would have took the money that he gave you up front, but make sure to tell him, what the price should have been just for he knows for future times. If the price was more than $25, then I would have done the same thing that you did

9. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

How much longer did it take? How much more did you charge than normal?

10. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Maybe he was trying to pull one over on you then. I don't think you could charge as much as the first time though, if the first time was a much bigger job. It sounds like he was bribing you a little with the five dollars to take the lesser amount.