1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whatever you charge, it ain't enough

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by JLH, May 19, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

I am not an LCO, I only cut my own. A few years ago I purchased a Woods mower with deck out front. Kept it for a while then sold it to a LCO.

I recently purchased a Hustler Super Z 60/28 EFI. I live in a rural area in the South on a farm. I cut my own yard and 3 acres which was at one time a pasture, plus lots of area around fields and ditchs.

I was raised on a farm, and continued to farm until 1990, tobacco, corn, soybeans, and wheat. So believe me I know what it means to eat dirt. Before we had tractors and combines with cabs, you either froze, or cooked, according to season, but you always ate dirt. There was no way around it. If you've ever picked soybeans without a cab, you know where I'm coming from. You wake up the next morning and you eyes want open because your eyelids a glued shut from the previous days dust, and you spit gray flim 24 hours a day.

I'm also familiar with hard labor, after farming I went to farrier school and shod horses for a few years. I thought cropping tobacco on foot was back breaking until I began to shoe horses.

My point is:

I know what hard work is and I'm not scared of sweat and dirt, but for all of you who cut grass for living and eat dirt and dust day in and day out, whatever you charge your customers, it ain't enough.

All I can say is you earn your money and I applaud you and you'll never have to worry about me trying to steal any LCO's business.

Just wanted to share my thoughts after cutting all day today.
  2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

this is what I tell my customers when they ask my hourly rate: not nearly enough!

I am actually starting to feel lazy doing the lawn stuff. after I got the proslide and a Z the whacking is the only strenuous part because I normally run when I'm whacking.
  3. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

what about those 3 inch long, black boogers :p kind of scares me in the shower.
  4. Grass Masters

Grass Masters LawnSite Member
    from NC

LOL good POST

So what part of NC are you in??

If you get ready to sell the Hustler Ill come and pick it up
  5. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Good post. Sometimes I think I'm really lucky to do this and make a decent living but, then I wonder if its worth it when I pull strings of dust out of my eyes ( even with glasses on), feel my wrist twitch from overuse, look at the farmer tan and wonder if I will get skin cancer, or when I have to mow 8-10 hours on a rainy day. I guess every job has its ups and downs, just nice to see that some people actually realize that this service is worth something.
  6. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

I'm about 50 miles south of Fayetteville, off I-95, and 20 miles east of South of the Border.

If I decide to sell this one soon I'll let you know, it only has 8 hours on it, I just changed oil yesterday at 5 hours before starting to cut.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything