what's a fair price for a trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, Sep 8, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

just curious what you guys think is a fair price for a 6.5' x 10' single axle trailer, GVWR 3000#, expanded metal 4' gate, 2' mesh sides, and an expanded metal floor. i'm thinking about getting a big tex 35sv but it doesn't come with an expanded metal floor or sides as far as i could tell from their website... i know that 6.5 x 10 isn't as big as everyone recommends but i don't think i can fit much bigger in my garage.
  2. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

Around here it would run you around $1000.00. I just bought a 6.5 X 14 tandum with reinforced gate and electric brakes for $1500.00.
  3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I would value that trailer very low. The reason is that it has expanded floor. You will ruin that floor in less than a month. I did and then had to spend $150 and a sat replacing the floor. NO FUN. Make sure the trailer you get has a solid wood or metal floor.
  4. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

how do you ruin a floor like that? i've never owned one so forgive me if i seem ignorant. it just seems to me that having unlimited places to tie down to would be a benefit. i'm only planning on using a 36" stander (640 lbs) and a 21" honda (120 lbs), plus the trimmers and blowers and other goodies...
  5. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

My trailors have epanded metal gates . What happens is the weight of the machines break the welds and after you load and un-loan your machines a couple hundred times a month the edges start to pull back and it gets caught on the deck and everything else .The best way to go is with a wood-plank floor ar a solid metal floor .Ive hade to replace the expanded steele gates and it gets pretty expensive ,and thats just for the gates , the whole floor would be really expensive.JMTCSorry about my spelling guys ,my Buccaneers lost and its been a very long day , If you know what i mean ...LOL
  6. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

hey AielLandscaping big tex is a great trailer. Their headquarters are in Mt. Pleasant. I would go with a solid floor but if you want the expanded metal in the floor they will custom build anything. can't say on a price because i don't know what freight would be. they sell for about $700 here but there is no shipping.
  7. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

There's nothing wrong with the expanded metal flooring. If it is supported properly and well bulit, it will work well. Around here, you'd find a new one like that for about $1200. Used ones are fairly easy to come by if you have a little patience. Good luck.
  8. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a 6x12 open landscape trailer with 4' expanded metal gate, "open" sides, 3500lbs axle, and 5000 jack for $1050 +tax. I also put on 1/2" pressure treated plywood sides, HD floor ancors, and reinfored the gate with a 2x8. After all modifications (except racks) plus tax, it was $1200.

I don't know if the expanded metal floor will hold up, but after one day of use, the welds on my gate broke so I reinforced them. Here is a pic:

9. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

You can easily break the welds on a mesh floor, if the metal cross bards are not very close. On my trailer, they are every 2'. It did not work well since my mower sat right inbetween the two braces and broke the welds. This caused my deck to catch on the mesh and was a pain to unload. I did replace the floor with treated 2"x12"s that are working really well.

you ought to look into painting your plywood sides. It should make them last much longer and would add a look of class to your trailer.
  10. J.Henderson

J.Henderson LawnSite Member

Where did you get that trailer. I saw one like it at Farm and Fleet for around $1100.00. I am looking for a trailer like it. I am getting tired of loading my Exmark in and out of my Dodge.

Are ya ready for winter coming? I may be looking for a sub-con for some of my accounts. You do plow as I remember?