Whats a fair price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clean_cut, Jun 30, 2009.

1. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a 2001 Scag Hydro drive on Craigslist, it was used commercialy for a while and has around 1,400 hours on it. They are asking 2,000 for it, is this a fair price?

There is also an Exmark 48 inch belt drive with around 800 hours on it for 2,000.

Are they both fairly priced? I know I have a local Scag dealer but I'm not sure about Exmark.

Also how do you contact people on craigslist w/o a phone number or email? Do you copy the 'reply to' adress and send an email to it?

Thanks for all of your help

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest buying from the dealer.

3. Weedas_Lawn_Care

Weedas_Lawn_Care LawnSite Member

first yes you copy the blue address and put that into the send bar on email and the scag may be a good deal but see if you can get him down a little on it depending on the shape its in and the exmark no thats not a good deal unless he comes down about 500 more (p.s. i love craigslist)

4. clean_cut

O.K I'll try to bring it down some, and yes I already tried the dealer, they had absolutley no walk behinds. The guy with the scag sounded pretty firm though saying "well it you know it was 6,000 new don't you" maybe we need to remind him that it was new 8 years ago:hammerhead:

Well any other opinions out there?

5. clean_cut

Also, what is the big diffrence between belt drive and hydro drive? I have heard it is easier on your hands because it is smother or something, is there any reason to pay 500 more for it?

6. Tom'sLandscapeDesign

Tom'sLandscapeDesign LawnSite Member

Ive had dual hydro, single hydro, and belt, and I like them in that exact order. However, my current machine is a single hydro (My Dual Hydro wouldnt fit through any gates. :( )

7. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

I had a belt driven one I would stay away from it.

8. clean_cut

I have a 21 in. toro for fitting through gates, what makes the hydros better than a belt? How often do they each break because I see that a replacement belt will cost $25 but a replacement hydro pump will cost $300.

9. Tom'sLandscapeDesign

Tom'sLandscapeDesign LawnSite Member

Its not about the equipment breaking. On a hydro I can change speed or direction without taking my hands off the bars. No need to change gears.

10. clean_cut

So changing gears is much eaiser with a hydro, how much do you think I should pay to get a hydro over a belt?