what's a fair price?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Greenguy1, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Greenguy1

Greenguy1 LawnSite Member

Last summer I had my employees plant 20 flats of begonias, the flats were 12.50 each and it was late in the spring/ early summer and it took several hours to find that many, what would be a fair price for planting them? I am asking because the owner of the mall was surprised at the bill I gave him.

2. ohdad34

ohdad34 LawnSite Member
    from NE OH

I charge $25 per man hr. for such labor.

3. Greenguy1

Greenguy1 LawnSite Member

Yeah, that is about what I charged, I billed them $500, I have taken care of this place for 20 years and when I explained the costs he understood but still could not swallow easily. It does seem like alot, maybe I could buy the flowers wholesale and do it cheaper, maybe $100 less and call it a freebee, but not a good way to stay in business. thanks for your input.

4. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

i have heard of guys charging around 20 per flat installed

5. SOS Landscaping

SOS Landscaping LawnSite Member

double the cost installed...

6. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

That is generally the cost in my area. For instance i planted a flower bed today using 3 flats of pansies, eighteen 1 gallon dianthus, and 8 kale, 6 bags of pine bark, 9 bags of topsoil, and 3 bags of mushroom compost for 410. It only cost me $186.13 and i had half a bag of compost left to boot. It only took me 3 hours for everything. He didn't even hesitate to take my offer. I went by and saw him and he agreed. Told him i would be more comforatable giving him a quote first. I called him and told him it was going to be 410 and it was only a 2x18 bed.

I agree on the doubling of the costs most of time or cost of plants plus 20% plus 40 per hour labor. Works out about e same most of the time.ht

7. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Three times material cost is a very fair price.

8. mowZ06

mowZ06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I planted 13 flats earlier in the year and I charged around double .