What's a fiar price to pay to someone subbing your lawn work to?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PACLandscape, May 11, 2004.

1. PACLandscape

PACLandscape LawnSite Member

Hello all -

In your experience, what is a fair percentage of the the lawn price (weekly cutting) to pay to a sub contractor when you sub it out to them?

thanks!

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

a 3rd is fair that is if they are using your equipment.

3. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

If they are using your equip then they are not a sub they are an employee.

4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

If the sub-contractor knows how much you're getting, what's to stop them from knocking on the customer's door and under bidding you, then taking it all????

I never let my employee see how much I charge my customers.

And, by the way, Mike's Lawn & Landscape is right. If they're using your equipment, they're employees, not contractors. Though, from what I've seen, none of the government agencies, from the department of labor, to the IRS, to the State Comptroller seem to give a rats azz about enforcement within the green industry. I think we can cheat our azzes off and get away with it for decades on end.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

5. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

DFW:
    Dangerous statement. Good luck to you with that endevour. I dont worry about employees taking and starting up on thier own. I simply explain and show them where the money REALLY goes. Taxes, wages, and overhead costs are fairly easily explained. I have yet to see one of my "informed" x-employees try and start up on thier own. teach them and they will stay and in the long run be more loyal to you because you are honest with them. JMO though

6. Superior Lawn Care

Superior Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Back to the question at hand I would say 50-60%. because in all reality you are the the one with the account and your reputaion onthe line. you dont wanna pay them too much to were you dont get anything out of it but you also dont wanna pay too little to were they dont care about the job and just try to get it done as fast as possible.