Whats a good 21" mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by master mower, Feb 14, 2004.

1. master mower

master mower LawnSite Member

A couple years ago I had a lawn care business with a client base of around 100. Last year I sold it to focus more on college. But this year I am going to get back into the business on a limited basis. I figure that 15 clients wont stress me at all. When I sold my business I also sold my "toys" along with it. Now I need to buy a new mower. I have a couple old lawn-boy push mowers which have held up great, but they arent something I want to rely on. What would you guys recommend to buy as a 21" self-propelled mower goes? I know I probably should bite my lip and buy a commercial one, but with only having 15 lawns I think im safe buying one thats around $500-600. Ones that ive been considering are Honda, Gravely, and Snapper. Ive had great luck with snappers.......I swear snappers are bomb proof, but the bagging chute clogs easily.

2. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

As far as 21 inchers goes, I've used only Hondas for the last 12 years. Still have a couple of ten year old 216's running strong. But then again I don't use them as much these days. The only problem I've had with them is they don't seem to mulch all that well and I really don't like to bag grass :)

3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I've always liked toro's. you could get a homeowner toro cast deck for around that price, or I think the Exmark 21" metro isn't much more and it has basicly the same mower with someof the commercial features. I think they have Honda engines inthem now. You might still find a toro or two wihtthe 2-cycle.

I have an airens 21" now. they call it profesianal but I question that. It was around $700-$800 new. lOnve the Robine engine but hate the tranny (mine has the 3-speed they quit making), and the cut isn't even what I would call great at 2.5"
    YOu might look lawnboy, since you've had good luck with them in the past.

4. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Ive been looking at commercial model of the Lawnboy and really like it. The price I got for this machine was $699 with the rear bagger. I really like the 2 cycle motor and the 4 mph speed of the machine and from what Ive seen It has a pretty good cut . So Im of to the dealer to make a final desicion and will let yall know if I buy it or not.

5. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

We use Snappers with Robins 2 cycle engines. The suction is great. They have got a little pricey though. Harry

6. tomk123

tomk123 LawnSite Member

I use a 5hp 21" Honda push with the hydrostatic transmission (9 speeds). Great mower, recommended.

7. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

You know I am just about convinced they dont make a good 21". By they I mean anyone. I have had a commercial Lawn Boy. I thought it was junk. I had a commercial Husqvarna I paid almost $700 for, total junk. I have had various homeowner grade mowers all Junk!!!

I have heard that Exmark and Toro commercial 21"s are fine machines, but I will not pay $1000 for a push mower.

To be honset with you(at the risk of getting laughed at), I have had the best luck with Craftsman mowers. There durable they mulch really well, and craftsman will ship you warranty parts over the phone for free during the warranty period. At the price you can buy one for they are disposable. If it breaks down in a couple of years, throw it away and get another one. You got your $200 out of it.

Last year I picked up a 21" craftsman with a 5.5 Honda engine for $250. Lasted me all season with not one problem. Although I almost never use it, or any other 21"

8. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

I use Toro's. Haven't had any problems.

Brian

9. CoultersDFW

CoultersDFW LawnSite Member

I always keep my eye out out for used commercial Toro 21's with the 2 stroke Suzuki engine. I've had two of mine for almost 6 years, and they still run like new! I can also do the maintenance on them by myself. They require a very minimum amount of work to keep running, and the parts are cheap. The trannies are pretty tough too, I've only had one go out, but that was my fault when I didnt grease it one year. 1k$ for a new one is steep, no doubt, but the way I see it, when they last two or three times as long, it helps spread the cost out to make it worthwhile. :cool:

10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I might be looking for a cheap 21" this year. I'm looking for something that mulches and has speed. I don't want to pay over $400 though, becasue it will only be used on 2 back yards. Anything more the $400 and I might as well lose the yards.