whats a good chain saw for trimming trees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by contourbs, Jan 26, 2005.

1. contourbs

contourbs LawnSite Member

trimming trees from a lader no higher than 25 feet. i live in fl trimming palm trees. i need a good light chain saw. what do you guys suggest. also what safety harness is needing for on a lader that high. im just starting to trim palm trees as its slow in the winter and in my area everyone has palm trees.

2. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

The best saw for tree work is one that has the handle in the middle of the saw, I use the sthil 020T. What for using a ladder on palm trees they tend to slip one side or the other because of the slick trunk. Has for the harness use a tree climbing belt and wrap around the tree with the ladder inside the safety belt to help stable the ladder. What are you charging per tree, we get $25 per tree.

3. contourbs

like i said i want to get into tree trimming, please explain the harness thing. i know it warps around the tree. but how does it work and where to get one from.

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

varify your insurance before getting into it too much, big $$$$$, high risk if you don't have a lot of experiance.

5. contourbs

i know, i have to start somewhere. i know i dont want to get to high in a tree with little experence

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

contourbs

Take his mans advise. The 020T is now the 200T, Not as good a saw as the older model but it has great power for a small saw. Not Cheap but you can't get a great anything for peanut. Stay away from the Old 019 which now is the 190. It is a homeowners saw and doesn't have the power of the 200T

Big trick in trimming palms is a very sharp saw. The fibers in palms will dull a saw very quickly. Learn to sharpen a chain with a File or dremel tool. You can never get a factor edge again but close to it. I have a bench sharper like you see in sharpening shops. It works good but does not give you the edge of a good file sharpening. BTW my Bench sharpener is for sale along with several ladders and even climbing spurs. I just sold My Vermeer chipper and I am getting out of the tree business. I have an O29 for sale also but will keep my 020Ts until I die. I am only about 25 miles from you.

7. contourbs

what about the harness info?

8. No Sweat L/C

No Sweat L/C LawnSite Member

Get yourself a Echo Powerpruner or the Stihl Pruner and a 10' stepladder.
    If the trees is taller than that can reach DON'T DO IT!!!!
    Leave the tall stuff to the professionals. Not worth dieing over a palm tree.
    I usually get a minimum of $30.00 for a tree I can reach with my extenable powerpruner(3tree Min.) plus dump frees.
    You understand by OSHA and most insurances company's any limbs that can't be trimmed from the ground, you need to get Tree Surgeons Coverage.

9. contourbs

thats what i have now, it just takes so long for 1 tree, with a ladder and chain saw and would be so much quicker and look better

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

??????????????????????????