whats a good landscaping book to pick up?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnwizards, Nov 2, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i'm searching for a landscaping book that will help me out with different plant and tree species to get me educated so i can expand into landscaping. what book would you recommend? thanks for the replies.

2. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

i never found a book that was too good i would like to know also .... but honestly just keep doing small installs and overtime i started learning alot more... nothing better than real life

go to amazon.com i just had a great book which i sold out encyclopedia of trees. the publisher is firefly they had tons of picture books that might help you on specifics like perinials. dry region plants, encyclopedia of this and that etc etc etc
    amazon.com and search for what u nead email the seller and if you are looking for books with really nice and detailed pictures ask them to open it up for you and check and most will
  3. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

try american hort society a to z encyclopedia,or anything by taylors.
  4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I had that one too.

There's no single book that will really do the job.

If you have a local big bookstore that sells used books, that might be a nice way to go.

Look for some of Dirr's books on trees and shrubs also.
  5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

"Planting Design: AManual of Theory and Practice" by William Nelson is a good one. I agree that no one book is going to do it all.
  6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for the replies so far. its just that there are so many landscaping books to choose from and i wanted to narrow the field down to just a few. i'm gonna check out everyones suggestions.:waving:
  7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

If a local university or college has a landscape design, landscaping, or landscape architecture program, venture into their bookstore and thumb through a few books that they might have on the shelves.
  8. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hotricopa software is goog.
  9. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

10. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member