What's a good mark-up method for supplies?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lee Homan, Apr 30, 2000.

1. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

Just wondering what would be a good figure for marking up supplies when doing jobs other than mowing. I want start doing applications but not sure how much of mark up to add on the supplies themself. I was thinking maybe 10-20% range. Should this cover time it takes to go get the things you need plus mark up on supplies too? <br>
  2. steven Bousquet

steven Bousquet LawnSite Member

alot of people are afraid to mark up product but thats part of any business. common prctice is 100% mark-up from wholesale, but it depends on the product some you can mark up 200%. mark up is based on the value of the product not just on a % of cost. 10-20% should be your net profit on a product that is most common in the business world.
  3. lawnforce1

lawnforce1 LawnSite Member

We mark up most everything 100%. We mark mulch a little higher and quote it per yard installed.
  4. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

hey guys, <p>Thanks for the feedback. Wow, I didn't think the mark-up was that high. Aren't most materials you buy sold retail? I thought you had to be a distributor or buy in large quantites to get wholesale prices.
  5. lawnforce1

You can find greenhouses and landscaper supply houses to fulfill your orders for wholesale. We buy our mulch for around $6 a yard and sell it for around $50 a yard installed.
  6. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawnforce1: $6/yard? Dear GOD! I should drive to your neck of the woods to buy mulch!!! What kinda mulch? $20/yard around here for 3X Hardwood.
  7. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

i pay 15 a yard charger 30 plus instalation<p>-Nick
  8. lawnforce1

We buy it in bulk. Medium grade in $6, high grade pitch black won't go bad smells nice for $10 a yard.
  9. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

10. You guys are still paying too much! Don’t any of your local municipalities have a mulching program? Even if you’re commercial, at least in my city, as long it's for a resident of my city, we get all the mulch for free. I charge my clients $120 a truck load to cover my labor. I have to go to the various sites to load myself, but at least the material is free. The only draw back is it not the same quality of redwood mulch, but it works. It's all the stuff from the city crew’s tree and brush detail. As for weeds, so far, the last year I've done it, no real problems with weeds.<p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044