Whats a good peice of equipment to get started?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by GreenHor7, Dec 9, 2007.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

I want to get involved into light excavating. Shed pads and do some finish work after sidewalks and patios are installed. What would you guys recommend and do you think this is a good business to embark on. I currently do maintenance and mowing.

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

A mini excavator, you can do more work with one than a skid steer, like digging trenches for the sheds that have electrical or digging out 3 foot wide side walks.

3. GradeMan

GradeMan LawnSite Member
    from canada

Good question, Its like buying a boat without the motor tho, It takes multiple pieces to make it all work

4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

with todays economy...especially in eastern PA guys are getting out of the business instead of getting into it....where in Eastern PA are you?

5. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

shovels work well,i woould say a skid with a backhoe if your just getting started.good luck!

6. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

Wow, you guys are tough on here. I am from the Lehigh Valley area. I was considering on doing some light excavating and finish work. I have had some people ask in the past and i rented some equipment for some jobs but i am seriously considering on going at it full force. Just some questions with equipment and how hard is this industry. The maintenance industry is tough too.

7. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

everyones just trying to help, the more specific you are the more help you will get.

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would try renting or leasing machines before you start putting any money out. A mini excavator will do more work than any other machine.

9. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

put it this way...we are a full service excavation company with 4 operators and 2 laborers and 2 truck drivers and they are having a very difficult time keeping the schedule booked right now...there are 4 guys going out to 2 men jobs, the truck drivers and holding a shovel in a ditch

if you want anything to do with new construction it just isn't the time right now...look at Toll Brothers, they just had their first quarterly loss in years, and if they are struggling that means the entire market is bad...you might be able to do some small jobs for homeowners but there really isn't any money in that, plus you have to deal with the homeowners who are a lot worse then contractors

but to get back to your question about machines, you should include whether you have a CDL or not because that will limit you a lot as well

10. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

GreenHor7, you have a pm.