What's a Good Pro Broadcast Spreader ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by EDEN77, Jan 25, 2006.

1. EDEN77

EDEN77 LawnSite Member

I searched for posts on broadcast spreaders, but the info was a little old. Why does a professional broadcast spreader start at over $200 and then go sky-high after that ? I don't get it. I need a new professional broadcast spreader. It doesn't need to have a motor. What spreaders do you recommend that give good value at a somewhat reasonable price ?

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I prefer Lesco's high wheeled stainless steel model. Others here like the Anderson or Earthway. Whatever you do, don't skimp and buy a cheap one. A good spreader will give you many years of service.

3. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Liar! LOL, here is a thread under the pesticide forum

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=130606

Lesco seams to be the brand of choice. The reason for the price difference is in the quality of the parts, and the mechanics of how it works. I bought a $90 dollar spreader at a farm store, thinking it would be much better than the walmart one. Well it was, but it only lasted about 15 uses. Spend the money and get a good one!

4. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

lesco stainless model they are $299 plus tax

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we have had a lesco for about 15 years ( same epreader...) good unit..
    just ordered a spyker.. supposed to be as good... we will see... i'll let you know in 15 years.

6. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

anderson, stainless model with deflector is around 400.00, well worth it.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've had mine for about 4 years and it's not stainless steel but for $160...
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTELargeImageView?rfno=9054&storeId=6970
    It's supposed to be 125 lb. but I always stick 50 - 80 in it (sometimes 100) because with a lot of weight in it, it's not too hard to dump the whole thing right off the bat you hit a hole and ... Still, 2x 40-lb. bags or 1 maybe 2x 50 lb'ers easy.

Now I only use it maybe 14-20 times / year, and here's the skinny:
    The chemicals in fertilizer (lime does it some too) EAT the plastic moving parts like the gears down below and everything just wears a LOT over time. Mine's about had it but it was my first spreader and I can not complain, it has been a good machine.

Stainless steel is expensive, that's why it jumps after 200 you go commercial and ss vs. plastic.

I see some guys getting 15 years out of theirs, me thinks the 400 dollar model might be the investment of choice.

8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We had 3 of those Agrifabs and they were total junk! After a season of use the gears started to misalign and get jammed. We tried fixing them several times, but it just kept happening. Very light duty if you ask me. The tires are nice, but the gear setup is horrible and subject to damage. Make sure your unit has an enclosed gearbox.
    P.S. that unit was rated for 125#, but anything over 80# would jam the gears and cause dumping and/or gut problems.

Chris

9. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Scotts (Andersons) AcuPro and it is durable and works great. If you are going to be putting salt or fertilizer through it definitely get the stainless option.

10. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

what I do for salt in the winter is go by the cheapest plastic scotts spreader from home depot and use it for the season and throw it away at the end, rather than take the risk of exposing a nice expensive spreader to all those corrosive materials.