What's a good push spreader?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Sunset LC, Jan 28, 2012.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I had a chance to look upclose at an Earthway today at
    Earthserviceandsupply.com
    Underneath there are adjustment slides that have about 6 notches to partially close off the left or right holes for pattern adjustment. Control knob is on the left so most of us can keep our right hand on the pushing handle.

The large premium model has a sort of dashboard with cable-operated controls so that the pattern can be adjusted on the fly. Has anyone used this spreader and adjustment? Does it work well?

2. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I'm looking at Shindaiwa RS76. I figure if I'm not spreading salt I can get away with powder coat frame. Any experience??

3. SonoranScapes

SonoranScapes LawnSite Member

I'm looking at getting a rs76 also, I think I'm just going to get the stainless one though (not much price difference IMO). Is it a single hole or triple?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I use the lesco (50 lb) spreader. They are small and well balanced, they last a long time, they are fairly inexpensive and they don't take up too much room in the trucks. If I need 80 lbs to do an app, I will be using a ride on!

5. SonoranScapes

SonoranScapes LawnSite Member

A ride on would be nice, but I don't have a need for it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

This is my favorite spreader. Light weight and has a nice spread. Been using it 3 years with absolutely no failures. :usflag:

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

The stainless model Riggle mentioned with a 50# hopper us flexible since one can pour left over fert into a tote etc.

On any of the none stainless frames [painted or powder coated] I'd advise spraying down joints and hardware areas with WD40 at a minimum.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

LESCO...i think we paid $400, but it also came with the extension that allows for more fertilizer.. but we never use it. Actually use it on our ride-on spreader for granular...Don't go the cheap route, been there and I ain't goin back