What's a good second lawn tractor?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by lawnman33, Apr 24, 2005.

1. lawnman33

lawnman33 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

:dizzy: I bought a new snapper hivac 28" rear engine rider with a 13.0 hp B/S motor last year. It's very reliable, efficient, and gives a nice clean cut every time. As far as durability it's all steel and very tough! I can see why they are known to last. Now for the few things I want to improve in my second mower choice. First my Snapper is truelly a "rider" kinda like riding a bull in the areas my lawn get hilly. Very bouncy at times. Secondly the cutting area of 28" and one blade makes me have to do allot of going back and forth cutting. I'd like to cut the time mowing in half, and have a much smoother ride! I was looknf at John Deeres at Home Depot, but wasn't impressed with the plastic bodies, didn't look very durable, although I am sure they make a more commercial grade of tractor. I was also looking at Snapper tractor, but at 3K plus they better be as good or better than John deer. Also at that price couldn't I get a decent zero turn mower, what are the advantages to that, or is a tractor better if your cutting a bigger lawn? :dizzy:

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Take a look at Cub cadet. Lowes sells a 42" for $1600 and a 50" for $2000. They have some nice features and they are worth the money.

4. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

MTD written all over that.......I won't own a Cub built after 6/81. One of the people I cut for worked at Lowe's and they had a lot of them come back in with electrical problems.

The REAL Cubs were built by International Harvester until they sold Cub to MTD in 1981 (poor management at IH caused this).

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I know for sure the new cubs are nothing like the old ones. I have a 102 with a front blade and a rear tiller with a 12 hp Kohler on it. That thing is made just like a IH farm tractor its just a lot smaller. I do believe that MTD makes some good mowers though.My dad has a 46" MTD thats 14 years old and still going strong with no end in sight.