Whats a good size mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kevin7, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Kevin7

Kevin7 LawnSite Member

I am new to the market and am about to purchase a Toro mower. My friend that has encouraged tme tells me not to go any smaller than a 52" deck. However the dealers are telling me that not many people buy the 52". Is there a reason for this such as backyard gates or is the 52" just too much in the middle? Thanks

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i am happy with my 44''. Many go with 48" or 60" it depends on the size of YOUR accounts.

Trevor

3. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

The smallest gates are 36 inches wide. However a majority of the ones in my area are at least 48 incces wide. The key is to be able to use your commercial mower to cut as much grass as possible. If you go with a 52 inch machine then yyou will have to carry a 21 inch mower to cut back yards in any fenced area that does not have a double gate. This slow and time consuming. I suggest a 36 inch machine. This allows you to get through any gate. When you expand then you can purchase a 52 inch zero turn rider and use your 36 inch machine for small gates only. Good Luck

4. Z lawn care

Z lawn care LawnSite Member

52" is just a good size mower for most yards. Even my 36" scag does not fit through all gates. 52" is about the right size for residental yards, not to big not to small

5. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

I like 48". I have had only one account where the mower would not fit through the gate, and I no longer have the account. More because I charge additional for trimming the fence line than because I could not get my larger mower into the back. The bottom line is that you have to make the decision based upon the gate situation in your area.

6. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Two things I don't like about my 44" Toro.
    1.Takes longer to cut.
    2.Lack of overhanging deck makes trimming around obstacles a bit dedious.(edited:eek:ops,should be tedious)
    Wish I had went with the 52" deck instead.

7. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

if you hvae small gated yards go with the gravely 34Z. That thing is sweet.

8. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

trevor's Lawn is that Gravely 34Z commercial grade? I have considered getting one but I do not want to go with a cheap mower. What are your thoughts?

9. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I had a gate just yesterday that my 36" Toro wouldn't fit thru. If I took the discharge chute off completely it would go thru, but I'd rather not do that.

If getting thru gates is a big concern to you, then get a 32". If not, then a 48" is a pretty good size for a walk behind.

10. hartlawnmain

hartlawnmain LawnSite Member

Get a Great Dane Gateway. Folds up to go through 36" gates and folds back down to mow at 52". 22 hp Kohler is plenty powerful too. Some folks don't like 'em but I love mine.