What's a good "SPECIAL OFFER" on postcards to entice customers?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Tyler7692, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am going door-to-door with postcards I have designed (I can't afford direct mailing at this early stage of the game)

Anyhow, I want to offer an enticing special offer to persuade customers to call.

I want something that will not only benefit the customer, it would in some way or another benefit me.

I am not going down the "ONE FREE MOW" path or similar gimics. I want something that I won't completely eat the promotional costs or something that I too can benefit from.

Maybe a certain percentage on their first X (#) visits or a % off their first months bill?

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Focus on selling the business/service and less on gimmicks. something like strong customer base, x yrs of experience, fully licensed and insured. Only thing we are missing is you.
  3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Good advice.
    I have done the "free mow", or %off. It is more headache than it is worth. I will not be advertising anything for free or % off ever again.
  4. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice.... I will be taking it for sure.

I see your point. It seems like I'd be attracting too many price shoppers/cheapos with that kind of marketing.

I like your idea Toro, thanks.

5. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

sell on quality and reliability
  6. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Everybody shops on price, Everybody is a price shopper. Think about when you get the Sunday Circular. Thats all price driven. Theres a cell phone company called "Metro Pcs" there service isnt good but their main strategy is price and no contracts. Keep in mind you are in a "hands on" service business, think outside of the box be creative but realistic.

Here's an example you could do the best work in the world but if very few people know about you then you will starve. Think about yourself as a consumer, as an example your looking at the same stereo system at Best Buy and Circuit City but one of the retailer has a special offer. Which company would you choose? The problem with "One Free mow or % Off" it isn't a strong offer. Make it tangible something that they can take advantage of. Make sure you are protected.

You must be able to figure that part out. Most LCO operates including myself have been guilty of this. A strong offer + a strong service record= many good customers. Be creative!

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I agree...and keep in mind if you're mainly a mowing operation, you're not selling caviar...most potential customers will have dozens if not hundreds of LCO's that will service their lawn. You can't get too high and mighty. You have to lure them in, then keep them with the quality work. Everybody and their brother says they do quality work...it really doesn't carry much weight in an advertisement.

You can offer a discount on an upsell service, say they sign up for mowing and they get $50 off a spring cleanup or leaf removal, etc.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You got it, the gimmick will attract cheapness in return.

Why not use the time it's taking to come up with the gimmick, re-invest it into making a really nice looking postcard, I am assuming you're doing at least some part of the design, right?

I have a friend in the business who many years ago tried his luck in the flyer business. What happened is old news, but I tell you the man designs some flyers today you just would not believe! The secret is he spends hours on it, tweaking, fixing errors, re-aligning and doing whatever until it is perfect and I mean the fool will dare you to find one miss-aligned pixel, brags about how you can see and count the lug nuts on the wheels of his lawn mower icon... The grass underneath is a different color because of the shade from the mower blocking the sun, I don't dare say you can or can not see the individual blades of grass, but that's how good.

You might not want to get but so crazy about it, but I do know I see many a rushed design, and I am 100% sure nothing works worse than a cheap or rushed design flyer. Make your flyer priority one, and if you get fewer customers at least they'll be upscale, or somewhere along the up and up.

Spend some quality time with it, that I think will pay off.

That's funny.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

anything "off"...even rich people like to think they're getting a deal or saving money
  10. Joe Shooner

Joe Shooner LawnSite Member

We recommend that our clients offer a discount on an additional service. If you're selling aeration, offer a discount on a fertilizer application done at the same time, etc. It gives the customer the feeling that they're getting a good deal and you increase your overall revenue.