1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats a good trimmer to buy for this price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevenf, May 26, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for a Trimmer that you can add attatchments to(like edger). Im looking for something semi comercial(not to expensive, strong enough, long lasting). I was looking at the Troy build ones from lows and they seem good. Is troy built a decent brand? what is a good brand/name around the $150-$200 range.
  2. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Troy-Bilt is an excellent brand, with a great reputation for quality stuff. Their trimmers, however, are vibrating pieces of trash. I had the edger attachment for mine and it vibrated so bad that I gave up on it after 10 ft.
  3. stevenf

What is a good brand that allows attatchments? $150-$200 range.
  4. Bill M

Bill M LawnSite Member

Don't buy any of the cheap Lowes/Home Depot type trimmers, been there done that, only lasted 2 years for home use. I purchased a Stihl last year, should have done it in the beginning, would saved me $180.00 that got tossed out the window.
  5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

There's cheap or good. Notice I said "OR" , not "AND" because in outdoor power equipment, you don't get cheap AND good. You can get one or the other but not both together.

If you want something cheap, it won't be good.
    If you want something good, it won't be cheap.

The attachment units in stores like Lowes and Depot are there for eye candy to entice the unknowing consumer into buying something that they are being told by the store ass. and product literature is a wonderful product.
  6. stevenf

How much should i consider spending for a decent, well known trimmer that can be used with attatchments? Give me some lower class commercial brands or just long lasting ones.
  7. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

For commercial use, it's pretty much Stihl, Echo, Shindaiwa, and Redmax. They all have their proponents, with Stihl's being the most vocal, and Echo being the most numerous, as near as I can tell anyway. An entry level trimmer from any of them will cost you 2 bills, and doesn't accept attachments. I'm not real sure what the attachment capable ones would cost, what is it you have in mind? Keep in mind that if you power head goes down, then ALL of your attachments are just junk taking up space in your truck until it's repaired.
  8. RYNOss

RYNOss LawnSite Member

Sounds like you plan to use this for home use. Your best bet would be a stihl km 55, the power head will run you about 180.00 at a local mower shop. You do have to purchase it with at least 1 attachment, a weedwacker head will run 80-90 bucks. the stihl has allot of attachments you can add down the road, and will last you a long time. Anything you buy from a home store is a "throw away". When it starts running bad you just junk it. I know this a little more then what you wanted to spend so keep an eye on ebay or local papers. I have seen systems with several attachments go for less then 200.00 http://www.stihl.us/multitask/KM55R.html
  9. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

If the trimmer is to be used for commercial applications, bite the bullet and buy a commercial quality unit. Sthil, Echo, Husky, Shindawa and Redmax manufacture quailty equipment, and will take the day to day beating, employee abuse, and long hard hours of use .
  10. stevenf

Its is not for home use. I am just stating out and I wanted to have an edger on hand. i figures since I dont have a strong trimmer, Ill just buy one that has an edger attatchment. Something I just found out about, and seems like a good idea. Is to get an echo trimmer and get an edgit.
    BUT, does the edgit just pop right on and off or would it be a pain to do that?