Whats a Landscape Supervisor worth?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by PCLL, Dec 26, 2006.

1. PCLL

PCLL LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

If you had the ideal guy what would you consider a good yearly salary? This person was once an owner, knows how to get it done and is willing to stay with you till the end. He also has a family, a 6 month old, so you know he's a stand up guy. Would you say mid 30's for a year and then significantly more afterwards?
  2. dekalb lawn man

dekalb lawn man LawnSite Member

I would agree with the mid 30s. Offer him, say 35,000 to start and see how he does. If you like him, next Christmas give him a nice bonus($1500) and tell him that you would like him to stay on board and offer him an extra couple thousand per year to stay with you.
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

There is going to be tons of different replies here for this question. Unless his wife has a job where she has benifits, he might be looking for those as well and those can range from 600.00 to 1200.00 per employee per month. Around here there are probably a few guys getting high 20's to low 30's for that same job and thats probably with 15+ years of experience. I would ask him why he is not an owner any more.
  4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

15% of gross is a good motivator .... the more he makes the company the more he makes .... understand whom I'm talking about .... the #2 guy .... just below the CEO .... if he is just a foreman running a crew ... a set salary ..... again based on gross is a good starting point ....just not 15%
  5. PCLL

PCLL LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

The person is me. I sold my business because of H.Katrina. I am just having a hard time being the employee so to speak when they're intentionally giving the large detailed installs and such because they know they're getting the best for nothing. I just need to find a way to approach the owners w/o getting pissed off. somethings gotta change or I have to go elsewhere. btw they dont offer benefits. so i think i'm going with the angle of needing more so i can afford to contribute to my personal IRA since they cant. they cant replace me so I just dont know how to approach this.
  6. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

Worth is a relative term. How long have you been with them, what do you do that the guy standing beside you can't do? I tell everyone who starts with me that they set their own salary/wage. The more you can do for me, the more you are worth to me. Everything from being sure the shop gets cleaned up (not do it, just be sure it gets done, assuming there are other employees) to being sure the maintenance is done on equipment. Being proactive on problems, issues, general business from day to day. I don't want someone who I have to tell everything to do, I want someone who comes to me and says, "we need to do X" or " I seen this needed done, so I did it"

I have two like this now, had one for 11 years, the other just found him this year, they are in the 30's. Keep in mind our area, 8 and hour is a good job.

You should approach them and ask, what can you do to make the company run better/easier for them. How can you be used to your best potential. Offer to do things for them to accomplish this, show your worth, then ask for the compensation. I consider this a show me business, show me what you can do first, then I will compensate. Everyone comes in claiming they can do everything and be my right hand man, I wish. They usually fall way short. Just my views, but good luck, and sorry about your conditions with Katrina.
  7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

When I left the company I was working for before starting my own I was making $36,400 year.

I started at $30,000 and made it to $36,400 in a year. BUT that was because they could send me out with crew and things would get done.........such as how this guy you have in mind sounds.

It depends on your area too. The $36,400 is decent money but I lived in northern VA...........poverty wage with crazy living expenses. So dependent upon your area and how well you think of this guy.........I agree, $35,000 + incentives (paid vacation, 3% sales commission etc).....what about insurance?

Be careful not to pay too much, wait and see how things go and then proceed.
  8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Move to NWPA I'll give ya $15.00/hr thats pretty high wages for this line of work around here, but the cost of living is fairly low.
  9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

First I think you have to clarify what a "supervisor" is in your market and how much volume are you able to produce per month? I am assuming you are talking install work.

Around here that is a minimum 45-K and up to 70-K position with benefits. But not for a mom and Pop operation with two 2-3 man crews banging out 30-40 K per month in production.

This is a intense high pressure job, here are the blueprints this is the vendor list. I need to see 230-k per month from those three 4-5 man crews. BTW don't exceed more than 3% overtime. Welcome aboard kinda thing.

You really need to be able to hit the ground running for that kind of a supervisor position. But the need and the $$$ is there.
  10. PCLL

PCLL LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

with 2 guys i did over 30k worth of install in 3 days last week.

i know all about the prints and vendor lists. i am considering going back to school to get my LA. i thought a company of this size could afford a guy like me. "a clean cut guy who has a family and solid knowledge" but its beginning to look like i will go back into business for myself if they cant help. is going back to school the answer to making money working for a larger firm?