whats a light weedeater

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by daleintx, Apr 28, 2002.

1. daleintx

daleintx LawnSite Member

My wife would like to help me out from time to time but my weedeaters are to heavy for her. Any recommendations. I looked at a couple of light echos but not sure about the quality of the light echos. Appreciate your comments.
  2. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got an Echo sb2100. I'm a 180lb guy, but I can use it one handed if needed, plus it has plenty of power. Was leary of getting a 21cc trimmer, but this thing is lighter and twice the power of my old home"not"lite 30cc trimmer. As far as quality, I feel it is as good as any other top of the line trimmers. I think echo offers an optional support strap that might also help your wife out. Congrats on your wife wanting to help you, I can't even get mine to mow our own yard anymore. She use to before I started my lco. Goodluck

Are we having fun yet???
  3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

went out last week and bought the smallest ryobi I could find..not the greatest in quality, a bit tempermental to start at times but lightweight and cuts well...sometimes my echo with the split boom (for other attachments )just gets too heavy and is too much machine for some tasks. I've used ryobi for years at my home and never had a problem..its not commercial grade but if it konks out I'll take it back to Lowes...they never give any grief about returnung things...no matter how long ago you bought them...they are as good as Sears in this respect.
  4. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

It's a curved shaft, and used only for manicuring nice lawns... any heavy duty tall grass or weeds gets the redmax. The reason I like it so much is because the head turns counter clockwise, making it very fast to walk foward, trim and shoot the grass away from the bed or drive. It's also a hell of alot lighter than anything else. The curved shaft makes it easier to edge w/ too.

Again, it's not meant to be pushed or last more than 2 seasons probably, but fills it's niche nicely.
  5. david griggs

david griggs LawnSite Member

that will take off most of the weight. thats what i use because i have a bit of tendonitis in my elbows.
  6. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Husky 322L, 8.8 lbs., and it's a very good commercial trimmer. My wife uses it with no complaints, so it's gotta be good. Actually it's the only trimmer I own, bought it 3 years ago and just never needed another one. 0 problems.
  7. Echo SRM260 formaly know as the SRM2601.

The Mrs. uses one.

Very light and powerfull enough to do almost all you want it to do.

Take the guard off and it will make it lighter
  8. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Agree with most about the GT 2400, except that, unlike Echo straight shafts, the head actually turns clockwise. For this reason, it is probably the most popular trimmer in the cemetary industry......fast trimming while keeping the headstones free of debris.
  9. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

My dealer showed me a Robin that was only 7.5 lbs. It was only 20cc but man was this thing light. Don't know much about robin, think i'll stick with my echo's
  10. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Red Max!! :blob3: