1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Whats a safe speed to mow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by trk53, Feb 1, 2005.

1. trk53

trk53 LawnSite Member

Everyone has opinions on what to charge for mowing. But I would like to know regardless of equipment is what is a safe speed that get the job done right. I see lawn mowing crews going flat out, but when you take a closer look they are not mowing all grass but just buzzing over it. So when someone says they are charging $60.an hour is that wide open or at a safe speed that does a good job ?
    I find it hard to believe some of the prices that members post for mowing, by the minute or by the square foot. Seems to me that it should be by expereince when estimating jobs.

2. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

Seems to me you know very little about mowing. Study this site for a while or go buy you a $9k z and find out for yourself. With a blade tip speed of 18k you can pretty much mow as fast as the mower will go, given the right conditions. As far as safe, its up to the operator.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

My Walker with a ground speed of 6.5 mph (with the speed up kit) is plenty fast enough...most of the time. In the spring I have to slow that down a little bit. Most of the time I go balls to the wall and that is fast enough. During the summer I think I could go maybe a couple miles an hour faster...but that's it. Most of my properties are between 2K and 8K...so speed is not a huge factor. I might be bidding on some commercial properties and might get a bigger deck. I use a 52" SD now.

4. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Prices will vary from state to state, town to town. You need to find out what the going rate is in your area. If your new, call up some professional landscapers to come out and bid your lawn to give you a ball park or just call them and ask them what their rate is for 1 acre. Every yard will set it's own cut speed. The yard might be bumpy or have dips so going fast can cause turf damage. Always think quality before quantity.I would say go as fast as you can to keep a quality cut. I usually cut at around 5.5mph.

5. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

why write a big narrative telling someone to got to the search bar and tell them just because they dont have many post that they dont know what the heck thei doing and that their not a pro like you are i'm sur with your few hundred post just give the man or woman a answer..........mow as fast as you can and still be a quality cut and good luck in the bussiness......how hard was that..

6. trk53

trk53 LawnSite Member

You may have misunderstood my question in full. I am trying to understand how anyone could quote by the minute or square foot for mowing .When in reality its by the lawn and the speed that you can mow it safely!

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Your time is money....is it not? Say your rate is $50 an hour. You look at a lawn and estimate how long it will take you. If it looks like it will take you 30 minutes or less....safely.....charge $25. If you don't think you can do it safely in 30 minutes, but rather 45 minutes...then charge $37.50. Estimating a job (mowing) by the footage is tough. You have been in business for 15 years...you should have an idea of how long a lawn will take you by walking it for a few minutes and comparing to other you do....right?

8. KathysLGC

?????? Would we be saying your not professional by asking you to use the spell check button? No, we would be helping you. No one said TRK was not professional.

9. KathysLGC

A person should know his area and his proper cutting speed so it said person breaks it down by the minute and comes up to an average of say, $1. per minute, then they feel safe going with that as a general rule.

10. trk53

trk53 LawnSite Member

Been a member longer than you, older than you , been in business longer than you, read lots and lots of post and have come to believe that if a lot of post make you an expert then I guess that I should give flipped answers to everyone so I can run my numbers up. I thought I had asked a fair question and should receive a well thought out reply. And I have received good answers from other members!