1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's a Scrub ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dan1944, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

I am new to this board and have seen the word scrub used in a derogatory way in a few post's. ? Do I qualify, ?
    I have a county license, insurance, work alone, show up when I should, have good and dependable equiptment and critizice my own work. Just curious.

Dan the lawn care man:)
  2. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Get ready Dan! You'll enjoy the responses.
    A scrub to me is someone that cuts for a living without the required paper. License,insurance,etc.
    Does not care about commitment,quality,image,etc.
    I'll leave the door open for the other members to bring you up to speed.;)
  3. Insurance is neither a requirement nor a necessity for cutting grass. But make sure you pay your taxes. As any prudent business man would tell you, it is wise to send the goverment evertything that you feel they have coming to them.
  4. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

IS a necessity here bro!
    All commercial customers have asked me for a copy of my insurance when delivering a bid or starting work.
    Most residentials will ask for proof of insurance also.
    May vary from state to state,but here you need it to stay in biz.
    In fact most ask to see my license as well.
  5. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

PLEASE :rolleyes:

i really wonder sometimes...
  6. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

Scrub . What is a scrub .A scrub is the people you see with a lawn mower in the back of their car going to cut grass on sunday . Scrubs are the guys who after you give an estimate come behind you and cut your B$#%s off by charging half what you would've . Scrubs have no work ethic , no insurance , no liscense usually no truck and if they do its falling apart. They usually do not have commerical equipment . They are not neat in apperance they drink at work they usually smoke weed at work . They do not care about the industry they just their $5.00 for cutting your grass ,theyre the 10%s of the industry and they do alot of damage .Ive read alot of your posts and I do not think your a scrub. I dont think a scrub would even know bout this site. .And Im sure people will vent anger toward them like I did .

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

You shoot a rock out from your deck and hit someone, then, you'll find out if you need it.

Any lawyer worth his salt will start at a million dollars when you get sued. First, they'll take your homes equity. Then your truck, then your personal car, and whatever else you have. Then, they'll financially chain you down until you've paid off every cent.

You need it!:gunsfirin
  8. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

Heck to be in this business without it you would be a fool ,with all the movig equipment we use, its not a question of if, but when and if your not insured you can stand-by.Because your right a lawyer will have a field day with your #$%.
  9. In Mississippi the lawyers have just about put all of the doctors out of business. Guess what, the doctors all had insurance. I guess having insurance did not protect them.

A smart lawn guy would not cut be cutting grass around people.
  10. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Licenses are not required everywhere. Becoming a legitimate, official business in the eyes of your state usually requires some sort of documentation. However, in some states, mowing contractors do not need to be "licensed".

However, doing business without insurance is as risky as it comes. Liability insurance, depending on where you are, might cost less than $700 for an entire year for a million in coverage.

Starting out, that should plenty. If you are a sole proprietor, you don't want to come home one day to an auction on your front lawn with neighbors and strangers bidding on your authentic Pokemon trading cards...or whatever each of us holds near and dear to their heart (ha ha).