whats a signed proposal worth

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Thirdpete, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

Guy calls, a referral, and wants $475 worth of work done, spelled out in a proposal handed to him by me on Wednesday. He signs. Work is scheduled for Saturday. He calls Thursday and says, "Ah i changed my mind."

What would you do? What is the point of a signed proposal if they can just cancel the next day when they get a better price?

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Was there any materials Purchased? Some states allow a 3 day buyer remorse on a signed contract...Most importantly...did you get a deposit? In the furture at the very least maybe consider putting in a clasue for a 20% non refundable deposit....

Contract is good for when you complete the work adn then they stiff you...

I'd be upset, but I wouldn't let it bother you too much....At least he told you today, and not on saturday morning when you are driving up....

3. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Many contracts have a 3 day right of recission built into them. Think of it as a cooling off period. I can return a new cell phone within 15 days and not pay a cancellation fee. After refinancing my house I had to wait 3 days before escrow dispersed the funds to cover my 3 day recission right. When I bought a car recently, not only did I sign to waive my 3 day recission right but had to agree to mediation rather than the court system should a problem arise in the future.

I guess my point is, the right thing to do is to give people a couple of days to think about it. Maybe an unexpected expense came up? Maybe he just decided he didn't want to spend that kind of money? Maybe his wife freaked out? Could be a lot of reasons. I'd just let it go.

4. Joedirtdog

Joedirtdog LawnSite Member

You could try getting a deposit with the signed proposal. This may just end up in not getting a signed proposal though. They say only 3 out of 10 shoppers are actually buyers. Better to find out right away how serious they are. If you do get the deposit the customer is much less likely to cancel or even shop it around anymore.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Depends on what the contract says. Contract states that once material is ordered the job is considered started. Once started if customer cancels then all monies are due immediately. 10% non refundable deposit required upon signing. etc. etc. If you have nothing in a contract about cancellation then a customer can cancel at any time before you start work.

6. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

OK - this has nothing to do with the thread but your topsites-isms are hilarious! But, you could only come up with 3?!!