What's a Yucca?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GreenMonster, Apr 12, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I have an upcoming landscape job, where customer supplied an "optional" plant list from a "designer" friend.

One of the items was a Yucca. I'm not familiar with this one. Anybody know? Guessing some sort of perennial?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Around here in va we have yuckka plants, resembles a cattus some what, stays green all year and blooms in the spring, seems to be an old fashion plant because I see them mostly around older houses 50 years old and older

3. grass_cuttin_fool

4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Good God!

I'm glad that list was optional:D

5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Yacca are a shrub type of plant that grow maybe at the highest 2 feet 2 1/2 feet high they have green/yellowish long leaves, which come to a point at the end of the leaf. They stay green year round and are an upright plant, not a crawler.

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

May I add that once you have a yucca you will always have yucca......Unless of course you bring in a back hoe to escavate the roots and surouding soil out very very thoroughly!

7. grass_cuttin_fool

evan --- maybe that is why I see so many around older homes, they live and thrive well and cant get rid of them huh, lol

8. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

Yucca's....... YUCK! nasty, terrible things.

good luck!

9. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Actually, they get much taller than that. I just pulled some out with my truck that were almost 10 feet high.

10. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, yes they are a very hardy plant, they are still pretty popular to use in landscaping.