What's best for ants?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by perrys landscape service, Feb 19, 2007.

1. perrys landscape service

perrys landscape service LawnSite Member

I don't normally deal with this type of problem but it's for my dad.His lake house is eat up with those little tiny ants.What can I put down to help get rid of them? Preferably granular.

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Try packets of aspartame. If that doesn't work, mix a little apple juice with the aspartame.

3. perrys landscape service

perrys landscape service LawnSite Member

What is the apple juice for? bait?

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

More attractant. Plus they'll take more of it in liquid form and pass it along better.

5. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

For ants, there's a variety of products on the market. You can choose from liquids, granules or even baits. Check out your local Lesco and talk with either the Manager or the Assistant Manager about your options and pricing. In our area, it seems that granular Talstar is very popular. It'll also eliminate those turf damaging Chinch Bugs!

6. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

I get those litttle pavement ants at times. I use anything with Fiprinol and within a few days they are gone. I use the gel stuff (Combat brand) and it seems to work great. It was recommended by a pest control guy.

7. randosh4

randosh4 LawnSite Member

chocholate mmmmmmmgood:laugh:

8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Talstar is good, baits work well.

What the heck is the Aspartame for????

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

upidstay

Aspartame is a artificial sweetener that is used in diet Soft drinks and a number of other foods. I have never heard of it used as a pesticide But then what do I know. Most Ants can best be controlled by baits. However it takes 5 to 10 weeks to get in the food chain and cause total control. Most people would be best advised to use baits as preventive maintenance on their home. Instant Knock down can not always be accomplished with ants. The cost of Chemicals for structural pest control is very Minimal. Which leads me to a story. A factory calls in any expert to repair a Machine that is not running correctly. The Expert comes in takes a look and turns one bolt a 1/4 turn. The machine runs perfect. His bill of $ 500 for 2 minutes work is quested and a detail invoice is requested. His Invoice reads. $ 1.00 to turn one bolt a 1/4 turn. Knowing which bolt to turn how far $ 499.00. There are over 8,000 species of ants, Knowing which chemical to use on which ant is the $ 499.00 question.

10. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

There are 2 kinds of ants , those that are attracted to sweets and the other attracted to protein .
    The baits consist of one or the other .
    Homes are invaded by only a very small number of different kind of ants .
    I mean , maybe up to 8 different kinds of ants will invade a home here in the good ol U.S. of A