What's best for scale???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MATTHEW, Jan 29, 2002.

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I have a beautiful crop of varigated Euonomous growing in a bed and up around a fence post. It was great for years, then was hit with scale real bad. They are all over 1/2 the leaves and most of the stems. Being winter, what do you suggest?
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Just about every time I have encounterd euanamous scale its too late to waste your time trying to correct it! You can try a horticultural oil spray. Might take a long time for the shrub to recover though....
  3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

With any pest, learn the life cycle, and you can effectively control it. Control, that is, don't hope for elimination, especially with euonymous scale. But I did once eliminate it, just the time I saw it getting started. Was I surprised on that one.

You want to get good coverage with a dormant oil, then a good systemic like orthene at crawler stages of first and second generations. Will try to get back with more detail, if someone else doesn't fill it in. OSU must have info on their website, or no?
  4. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

Merit injections will control, BUT you know how that goes.....:)
  5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll have to agree with Evan on that. Euonymus are fast growers. Better off removing the ones you have and replant. I don't use euonymus in any plantings I do unless the customer really loves them for some reason as eventually they all seem to succumb to scale problems.

P.S. Even with treatment, if the neighbors have scale problems, they'll be back.
  6. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

last spring we had a customer with major scale on a 30 year old non verigated eonymous. Used liquid sevin on it a total of 3 times, 10-14 days apart. it worked rather well, although some areas were beyond treatment and were pruned out of the plant.

if you intend to treat, an older ODOA publication I have recommends spraying beginning in april, and 3 treatments as mentioned above. The third treatment is supposed to be applied by middle of May.
    They suggested many chemicals to use, but the sevin was what we used. Also was used on verigated euonymous, as well as mugo pine.

Call the ODOA, and ask for this publication if you would like more specific information on various chemicals that may work, and times to treat. (Insect and mite control for woody plants and ornamentals) I'm guessing the exact name of the publication, so it might not be exact. I can get you the exact publication number if you would like. It is in one of the trucks in our warehouse.
  7. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Coverage is key with oil. What's wrong with using Merit? We see nothing but awesome results on scales once translocation has taken place. It is also almost 100% idiot-proof. It just works that well. Lasts for a year too.