What's best height for striping roller.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by baldbeefman, Apr 7, 2003.

1. baldbeefman

baldbeefman LawnSite Member

My z-turn mower has 3 wide anti-scalp rollers on the back of my deck, that measure the width from inside each tire aproximately. I figure they are about flush with the height of the deck or maybe an half inch lower. I'm cutting them with my welder and making them a little lower to the ground (a.k.a. striping kit).

My question is how low I should drop it. The lowest I ussually mow is 2 1/2". So how far off the ground should the rollers be when I'm mowing, I was thinking of 1/2"- 1". The reason I don't put them on the ground for my lowest mowing setting is clearance and I was afraid it would wear out the rollers too fast (plastic).

The tires lay the grass over nicely already and I was planning on adding some chains on the back of the frame between the tires also.

Should lay a good stripe when I'm done.

2. baldbeefman

Before anybody can jump me. I did a search and down loaded Exmarks instruction sheet, and I also read where someone suggested to mount it 1/2" - 3/4" off the ground.

I'm going to leave the thread up though, in case someone else may have some advice.

3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

How does the cut look now? Are you for sure they just anti-scalp rollers or maybe both. I have a cub and have, I believe 4 rollers that cover the space between the tires.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Dont go too low!

You want a LOT more than 1/2" between roller and floor when at your cutting height! I feel thats way too low.

Whatever it is now, lower it about an inch at most.

Good Luck

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

1 3/4" below the edge of the deck to the bottom of your rollers if you mow at 2 1/2" usually. You want them to roll on the grass and help bend them over but like you said too much weight on them all the time will wear 'em out faster. Consider getting some rollers with bearings from here: http://www.mcmaster.com for putting on there. Then you can make them roll on the ground all the time and have some really outstanding stripes! Search "roller" or "rollers" and it will come up with all kinds. I beleive you want conveyor rollers. Not too expensive and they have bearings and all kinds of metals too choose from.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If my roller was touching the ground at all times, or as close as BHB says, I would have wore out the deck bushings by now, hopped belts off, etc.

ANYTHING lower than the rear skirt of your deck will improve your stripe dramatically. ZTR decks are meant to be SUSPENDED above the turf, not ridden across it.

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Yes I know that! But if you don't mind wearing them out alittle faster it's worth it because it not only helps stripes but cuts much smoother too! I'm used to striping weeds and other hard to stripe types so what I speak is truth around here anyway :)

Here's a cheap heavy duty one I made. No bushings or bearings but it striped good and no scalping. No significant wear on it at all in any areas and it cost $5 to build. At 2.5" cut height it supported the deck weight on even ground and at 3" rode just slightly above. Really helped alot. I now use a flap on my Scag and it does good, but is about 3/16" off the ground on flat level.

roller1.jpg

8. baldbeefman

I measured my deck on pavement. At 2 1/2" the rollers already sit about 3/4" off the ground. So I thought I would drop the deck down to 2", take the rollers off, weld them back on touching the ground, then when I mow at 2 1/2- 3 1/2" it will be about right. Tomorrow...

Today, I went out to the parts store and bought me some chain, angle iron, nuts and bolts. I'll try to post a picture of the creation. I bought the heaviest chains they had and wound up spending around $50 all together. I wished I would have gone with about half the size chain and used more links. Should work fine though.

My mower does stripe pretty good already.

View attachment mvc-002f.jpg

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Picture not working?

10. baldbeefman