whats best mosquito killer/preventor for lawns

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TOTALLAWN OF KY, Jun 26, 2006.

1. TOTALLAWN OF KY

TOTALLAWN OF KY LawnSite Member

What has the best residual and best larvae killer and so on?? I'm in Louisville Ky ?

2. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I use Talstar. I spray the lawn, shrubs, and the house. However, an application like that requires me to have three certifications, turf, aquatics, and structural. It last about three weeks.

3. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

mosquitos need standing pools of water to hatch larvae. Why do you have those in a turf area? Adjust watering and aerate if those are the conditions, it's unhealthy for the turf to have standing water anyway. By the way, Talstar is a restricted use pesticide in many states, FYI.

4. Chris@CRU

Chris@CRU LawnSite Member

Mosquito larvae can thrive in leaf litter that is sheltered from direct sun light. To control mosquitos, first a larvacide must be applied to the areas that the larva will propagate, such as shrub beds and standing water areas. Second, mosquito females (the ones who suck blood) will rest on the underside of surfaces waiting to detect a meal up to 100 feet away. They use heat vision to spot a food source. Once they target you or the host, they hyperventilate and launch to the host. So you will need to treat the underside of leaves, eaves, windowsills, and any other landing site on the property. This will not prevent the mosquitos from off the property to enter, however. There is several mosquito attraction devices on the market that use a thermal attractor and dehydrate the mosquitos that are unfortunate enough to land. The mosquitos learn that the area is deadly, and, after 3 weeks will not come back for some time. There are also misting systems available to apply pyrethriod insecticides to knock down the adults with little to no residual. Spraying the lawn is not going to provide noticeable control unfortunately. I sold and performed theses applications for some time, this is probably the best alternative to purchasing the misting system.

5. GTP

GTP LawnSite Member

Look up the site for Mosquito Barrier. I have purchased some to add to my line but the dry weather in the south is keeping the mosquito population down. I have read on other forums where guys were using it with success.

6. seaweed

seaweed LawnSite Member

7. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

All I know I have a customer who insists I keep spraying her yard for mosquitoes. She feels it is a benefit and gets upset if I do not keep up the regular spray schedule.

8. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

9. Chris@CRU

Chris@CRU LawnSite Member

Land of the Mosquito? Here in Florida it is the state bird. Active year round.

10. seaweed

seaweed LawnSite Member

Here in maine we don't spray for them- we just catch 'em put 'em on a hook and use them for trout bait.