1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats best to level a lot with?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by IBGreen, Sep 9, 2002.

1. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the time the builder we landscape for already has the lot leveled and prepped for us. We picked up another builder who wants me to level the whole thing and get it ready to build the beds and lay the sod myself. I can't wait! Maybe I'll be able to find a new toy to do it with.

Brandon Shaw
    Evergreen Landscaping Concepts
  2. Always Green

Always Green LawnSite Member

What you got? I've used my backhoe (slowest) my trackloader(better) or my bulldozer(best) if you have a backhoe do the first few with that and see if you have the work for a dozer, you can find lots of used cat D-3's for around $15,000.00
    or sub it out to a guy who has a dozer I get $575.00 per day for a dozer w/operator it may pay to do some this way he'll be faster than you and you can be out doing what your best at while he gets the lot ready for you.:drinkup:
  3. JeremySkrocki

JeremySkrocki LawnSite Member

How rough is the lot you have to level. Here in Florida the lot is pretty level through out the building stage and just needs a final grading when it come to landscaping time. Here most people use a bobcat, or a landscape tractor.

Clean Cut Landscaping
  4. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like all good advise. I think the answer to the question is certainly a Bulldozer. That is what bulldozers are made for after all.
  5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Sorry to put a damper on the Bull dozer idea, they work great if you have many homes to do in one area (like a subdivsion) or are doing big areas, but for most single home work a larger skid steer will do fine work and in about the same time a dozer will do it.
  6. Mow&Snow

LOL!!! Grade with a skidsteer as fast or as well as with a DOZER???!!!! LOL! LOL! LOL!
    Tears in my eyes laughing so hard
    Oh boy thats rich. LOL
  7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I think you need to really see what a good skid steer operator can do in one day! You may laugh but I've have had operators put down 1500 cu yds of dirt in one day with one skid steer. Of course for what I pay them they should.

Also look at how I prefaced the question, are you doing just one lot at a time or a subdivision?
  8. Mow&Snow

Sorry man but you better refigure that.

1500 yards = 3000 .5 yard buckets. (Ya I know big skids will hold more, but we are in a hurry remember?)

10 hour day, = 1 bucket every 20 secs. That includes the time to fill bucket, drive to drop point, dump, grade, return to pile.

all day without stop, break, rest, or any other king or delay.

Hummm, let me think.

Nope! No Way!

Now with a nice Cat D5 with joystick controls.....`
  9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

You sure it happened that way? But it did happen. but you know more than me I'm just a little old landscraper.
  10. Mow&Snow

Just yanking your chain man. I'm sure it did happen.

I gotta go to bed, More grass to clip tomorrow.