1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats better money?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Limeade, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Limeade

Limeade LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Commercial, or Residential lawns, now I don't mean huge ones that I need a tractor for , but a small business like a gas station, or a house?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you're talking small areas. it is generally my experience that residentials are better. They don't have people coming in all day everyday saying they'll cut it for $1.39.
    Also, the homeowners generally care a little more about their place, so they are wiling to pay a bit more.
  3. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I don't mow any commerical, but doing just residential I never make less than $60/hour (worst case senerio)

Usually I'm at 80-90/hour
  4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I started as a residential maintenance business, and at one point about 6 years ago, tried to go the commercial route, advertised heavily. It didn't work out for me, the competition was unreal and the prices ridiculously low. As Runner said, homeowners are more quality oriented, while commercial is all based on price. Now, I have a handful of small commercial properties, which are all owned by my residential clients, and that's it.
  5. djlawn

djlawn LawnSite Member

I don't know about 15% of my business is commercial. The residential customers are more loyal overall. However I have some commercial customers that I have had for 5-7 years and they don't even question anything I charge. Do a quality job, and they will pay for it. However a big company like Verizon, Walmart, etc, they are all about the $. Low bid will get it in that situation ( no loyalty). Also they have these ridiculous contracts. I won't do the really big commercial places. My commercial stuff is all 12 acres or less (no big corporations).
  6. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

I think it really depends on the alot of variable really... for me commercial business has always been good business and has generated residential work .. c
  7. Andersonlawnscape

Andersonlawnscape LawnSite Member

If you are looking for some big commercial work, some of the more up scaled neghiborhoods will pay a little more and not just go with the low bid. Whats nice about that is they usually want the whole package. And alot of them will pay it. Just drive around and try to find some nice neghiborhoods that have alot of common ground.
  8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Ummm I have 160 residential and only 5 commercial they are not as easy to get they typically do not pay as well and some of them have insane requirements for you to make sure you never make a dime off them and they can sue you but not the other way around. The commercials I have are owner operators no tenants and no and I mean never will they be management companies. What I do like about the few I do have is they allow me to cut late and I mean late like after 8 pm so my days can be very productive the other sweet feature is you can hit them early I will not start a mower on a home owners lawn before 8:30 I will not think twice about starting one on commercial as early as 6 am if I was inclined to ever wake up 2 hours earlier. I have bid on more then 30 commercials this year I have 5 most are just money losers in my area.
  9. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow that is good for a 19 year old or for any age. How do you do it?

I thought only BobbyGedd got this much per hour.
  10. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I hated res. work .
    They bothered me to often .
    The commercial jobs , they kept to themselves , it was non personal .
    Doing homes ,
    " hey , can you please pick up these few leaves or do that or this ."

Geeeez , that gets old .

Commercial , no problem