What's better? Revitilizer or core plugger?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RobHawkins, May 27, 2008.

1. RobHawkins

RobHawkins LawnSite Member

I asked my local lawn and garden store owner about using a power seeder like the Turf Revitilizer from Lawn Solutions. He said there was no better way of overseeding and existing lawn than with a core aerator and a broadcast spreader. He said a power seeder was good for new lawns but not as good for existing or established lawns.
    What do you guys think? They rent the power seeders at my local Home Depot and the renter guy there said they work very well.
    Thanks.
    Rob

2. kenny s

kenny s LawnSite Member

Rob,
    Hi, I am looking athe Lawn Solutions Revitilizer as well. I would like to overseed my accounts every year and I was told the Powerseeder did a GREAT JOB on existing lawns. Now , this was told to me by my Lesco dealer and two very good freinds of mine who own a very big commercial lawn maintenance and Lanscaping business. They have the Lesco Lawn Renovator and say it does a great job as well. They both told me the powerseeder is the way to go for existing lawns. The Leswco dealer also, (to his credit), told me the same thing your garden center guy told you about core aerating and them broadcast seeding. He said, since I already own a Ryan core aerator, I should use that and then over seed with the broadcaster first before paying $3300.00 for a powerseeder and using only part of the season. The Lawn solutions Revitilizer is nearly the same price as the Lesco. The one thing that they all told me that is key, is to do it in the fall when the weather start s to cool at night and the grass will grow. I do it is the spring clean up and that is probably why I do not get excellent results. The fall season is really hectic for me with leaves to blow and put out by the curbs. I work alone so I do not have a large window of opportunity to thatch, core aerate and them seed all of my lawn before leaf season. AND THE GRASS IS STILL GROWING at this time. That is why I think the powerseeder is better because it will do the thatching and then the power seeding all together. Of course you have to blow off, or pick up the thatch first before seeding, but that is a given. If you do not have much thatch, then you can go ahead and powerseed your existing lawns in onw shot, from what I have read from other fellows with alot more experience with these machines. Let me know you think.
    Thanks,
    Kenny S. - Northern NJ

3. RobHawkins

RobHawkins LawnSite Member

Thanks Kenny,
    I think since I have never used one, I should. My lawn has never been de-thatched, but doesn't need to be. I use a mulching mower and cut, water and fertilize properly. But the drought we had last Summer here did a number on my lawn. I'd say 10% died and the dallisgrass and orchardgrass spread because I couldn't do any proper maintenance. I even had several trees to die as a result of the dry spell.
    It just seems to me that placing all the seed in the slits the power seeder makes is efficient. With plugging, some of the seed fall in and germinate and some get covered too deep and never come up. The rest don't come into contact with the soil and are wasted as well. At $75 a bag, effective germination looks good to me.
    Thanks again for your reply and help.
    Rob

4. kenny s

kenny s LawnSite Member

Rob,
    I think you are making the right choice by power seeding for the same reasons you stated. I find that only a portion of the seeds after aerating actually settle in the core holes and alot just gets waisted. I am seriously considering buying the Revitilizer or one similar. As far as your thatch, when you use the power seeder you will find out how much thatch you have or not, by how much the power seeder brings to the top surface of the lawn, like a thatching machine.If you do get or rent one and use it, please let me know how you liked it and the results. Good luck.
    Kenny S.

5. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

A power seeder will get 8-10x the germination rate over any aerate and broadcast seeding method. We have done studies for some of our largest customers who used to use this method prior to using our machines in their franchises.

A good power seeder will use less seed, take less time, and get much better results than an aerator and then broadcasting seed. I really don't understand how someone in the industry can say aerating and then to broadcast seed is more effective, but I hear people say it all the time.

6. Marek13

Marek13 LawnSite Member

I started with core aerator and seeder after talking to Lesco guy (maybe because I was in the marked for aerator)
    Last fall we did most of our client with classen overseeder(nothing special-push model)
    We aerated the lawns then over seeded then with Classen over seeder then spread a bit of starter fertilizer (just to help the seed (no weed and feed)) and finally rolled the lawn to achieve max seed contact with the soil –grate result-
    I don’t own overseeder but we rented it from Home Depot. But I am buying one -80% of my clients want annual renovation done after last fall.
    If you have extra$ to spent it’s a good investment, but for now I would rent it.
    Roll the lawn after seeding –helps tremendously.
    PS.
    I am not an expert in any way but I’ve asked some pros here and my local guys and that’s what they do –(1)aeration, (2) overseeding, (3) apply little of started fertilized for extra help), (4) roll it for max seed contact
    Hope this helps

7. kenny s

kenny s LawnSite Member

Lawn Solutions Rep.,
    Thank you very much for jumping in this conversation about power seeding. I think it is really good to hear from the machine companies Reps on these topics, especially when there are guys like me who have never used one and is trying to get as much info as possible. I watched the video and was impressed by the machine. I have also looked at other machines and they all seem to do the same job. I have a dealer close to me here in Northern NJ, and I am going to make a point at going over later in the week to look at yours, preferably the 9 hp. I want a machine that is going to do a good job with great results, and eliminate all the extra work required when having to use several different machines to get the same result as the power seeder. If there is any other info you can pass along I would appreciate it. Thank you again,
    Kenny S. - Northern NJ

8. kenny s

kenny s LawnSite Member

MareK13,
    Thank you for your help and information about your experiences with core aeration/broadcast seeding, and your experience with the power seeder and its results. The way you laid it out is very helpful, thanks for that. I am going to look at the Lawn Solutions 9 hp Revitilizer at a dealer in Mahwah, NJ this week. The more I hear you fellows talk about them and the results you get, it makes me want to get out there and do this to a number of my accounts whose lawns need to be thickened up from over seeding. I am going to take your advice and core aerate the areas first them powerseed. I think I am going to buy an inexpensive hand roller as well. The two fellows I mentioned in one of my other reply's said I could try their Lesco Renovator and see how it works. I may take them up on it for one lawn. I think I would like to have my own though, do I can use it when I want to. I will do my own lawn first, (1/2 acre), to ge the feel of it. Every time I buy a machine, my lawn is the first lawn it gets used on. Where are you from in Nothern NJ? YOu do not have to say if you do not want to. I am in the Park Ridge area, Bergen County. Thanks again for you help, I appreciate it.
    Kenny S.

9. Marek13

Marek13 LawnSite Member

Kenny,
    As far as the roller goes-check your local dealers and buy the plastic one that you can fill with water -its easy to transport and you can vary the weight by adding more of less water.
    I know around me- Bartells (Clark NJ) has them for like $80 or something -
    Ps. I am in Union Township but most, serving Springfield, Livingston, Scotch Plains , and Maplewood.
    Also Kenny, edit you profile and put your email and other info so we can send you PM (Private Message)

10. kenny s

kenny s LawnSite Member

MareK13,
    I will check with some places about the plastic roller. That sounds better than the old metal ones, (alot easier to handle and throw up in the truck. I will do as you asked and edit my profile with my email address. I know where Livingston NJ is, my cousin who lived in Summit NJ used to workout at a gym in Livingston. I have also heard of Clark, but I do not think I have been there. We deal with very similar problems when it comes to lawns then. It is good to talk to you. Have a good day.
    Kenny S.