1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's Better?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtrice11, Dec 8, 2004.

1. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just starting out. I live near Minneapolis Minnesota and have narrowed down my choices for buying equipment. I am debating on wether to go with a eXmark Laser Z (27hp Kohler), Toro Z (27hp Kohler) or Kubota Diesel. Which brand do you guys think is the better value??

I also am thinking pretty seriously about going with STIHL brand blowers and trimmers.
  2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

how many, and what kind of accounts do you have?
  3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Just looked and the exmark has a diahatsu. Don't know anything about their small engines. Kubota and Yanmar make good small diesels. If you decide to go with diesel I'd look at the Kubota. Gas engine, probably the exmark with a Kawi.
  4. JCW-G

JCW-G LawnSite Member

Since you are asking which of the three is a better value, we would need to know the prices of each. If the three are your only choices, I would go with the kubota. Plus include the answer to the question posted by Mo Green.
  5. jtrice11

We have 1 commercial account that is 50 townhouses, a property developer with 4 small office buildings, and a small handful (less than 5) residential accounts. We plan to get as many additional accounts as possible.

The toro guy tells me the toro is a better unit than the eXmark, and he has one that is 800 dollars cheaper. The Kubota is about 2 grand more than both.
  6. JCW-G

JCW-G LawnSite Member

Well sure the toro guy is going to "talk up" his product, he needs to make money just like everybody else.If you talk to an exmark guy he would do the same for his product,and so on. There is a reason mowers cost more or less than the competition, it is quality. Just remember you get what you pay for. Good Luck
  7. JCW-G

JCW-G LawnSite Member

8. rgjlawn

rgjlawn LawnSite Member
    from midwest

we have used kubota for 18 of our 27 years, new ZD is by far the best. it is more money but fuel is better and they also have a new stripping kit for them.
  9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

what kind of deck is on the toro? if it's the SFS, RUN!!! I've seen people in the shop MANY times. in places where there is one weld there should have been two. overall the sfs is, in my opinion, fabricated cheaply. I do not have any experience with the turbo force deck, but, I've heard good things about it.

If I were you I would go with eXmark.
  10. jtrice11

The Toro has a turbo force deck on it. I was pretty surprised by the differences the Toro guy showed me in this 2 inch thick book he had. It was diagrams of comparisons between the eXmark and the toro on virtually the same model. The Z and the Toro Z force--The gussets, welds, the gauge of steel used, wheels, bearing housings etc...were all superior on the toro. Also the Toro had twin tanks with one fuel feed, the eXmark had 2 tanks with seperate feeds, needed to be changed via a petcock. I know, a super minor detail but the Toro did appear to be superior. But I've read alot about eXmark and they seem to be popular and reliable. The eXmark dealer has a deal where if your mower goes down, they give you one while yours is being serviced. A nice option to have.