What's causing grass to head very low?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncuttinfoo, May 16, 2007.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm cutting northern grasses at 3" and there are seed heads lower than the cutting height. I've never seen this before, usually I see heading at like 7". Any ideas?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, it's that time of year, it goes to seed in full-blown fashion so you'll see this, it is normal but watch out, when this happens it is your first sign that you need to start delaying your cuts by 2-3 days each, or you'll start developing signs of heat stress on the turf, yellow and brown spots beyond that, so start slowing down.

3. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Could be poa, annual bluegrass

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I'm seeing this in Texas.......

5. hughmcjr

hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

It could be weed grasses, but grass and weeds will acclimate to a cutting height as a defense mechanism for seed growth. How many of us have heard a customer say cut my grass lower to get the dandelions or clover, only to return and see the clover or dandelions flower and seed at lower heights.

6. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

This is happening in VA. I think it is lower mosture combined with some cool weather. If it was hot we would be a burnin lawns up.

7. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

At this time of year it can also be new immature growth coming up and going to seed.Like was mentioned delay the cut a couple days or slightly lower your cut to top them off. To help avoid this I make my first cuts of the season are cut at 2.5-2.75.

8. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got this too in my KB lawn. I was cutting at 3 and have moved up to 3.5. Even at 3" I was unable to cut them down. I'm thinking of dropping it back to 2.5 on my next cut to get rid of them but I'm not sure if they will just regrow at a lower height?? Any ideas on this? I know it usually only lasts a couple weeks but It makes the grass look light green due to the white in the seed heads....I want my nice dark lush green back!!!!

9. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Probably Poa Annua. Pre emergant in the fall, check with your local ag extension service for proper timing for your area. Certainty will also take it out post emergant

10. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine is definitely not Annua. I had that in the past and rid the areas of it with overseeding. Mine is 100% KB. I cut at 3" and its taken most of them off. Another week and It should be finished for the season.