whats cheaper...7-wire or 1" pipe?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by instyle, Sep 9, 2007.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

My supply guys is not open today.

Is it cheaper to run fewer valve boxes and more pipe or less pipe and more valve boxes?

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

It totally depends on the job and size of system, but for ha ha systems (per purp terminology), my vote goes to more pipe being cheaper by a long shot.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Copper costs more than plastic.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Brass costs more than cooper, bronze more than brass, stainless steel more than everything. ;)

5. Wet_Boots

(you forgot platinum)

6. No offense but this is the kind of question that makes me very sad.:cry: You are designing a system based purely on material cost and not on watering needs. I hope I'm wrong.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Me too. Nothing wrong with trying to save money, but at the cost of an efficient, well built system that will give trouble free performance for decades....just not worth it. Either you have the money to do it right the first time, or wait until you do.

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

You're out of context... Sprinkler systems that only use 1" and smaller pipe are "dinky pipe" systems. But "barbed/ha-ha's" are swing joint thingeys that could be used on dinky pipe or "man-eater" systems. BUT... all bets are off if any system is installed by monkeys. :laugh:

9. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

This job is paying very well. And I am not skimping on anything at all. I am just I am just wanting to know what is cheaper. Putting a valve box every 60 feet, or putting 4 valves in one box and running the pipes further.

Jeez, irrigation people are about as stuck up as pesticide people.

10. Wet_Boots

Everyone has a different answer, and it depends on circumstances. Faulty field wiring is a pain to deal with, so a single manifold near the house increases reliability, and one big valve box is quicker than seven little ones. I don't really care how my approach prices out. I want servicing to be quick and easy. Someone else might want to maximize the ability to make extensive changes in the future, so they'll like a mainline and individual valves.