What's different for next year.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman99, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Mowman99

Mowman99 LawnSite Member

What are you guys going to do different next year. Here are some things I'm going to do different. Put a timeclock in for all guys to use (tired of guys on the same crew coming up with different hours), put in GPS systems on all trucks (where I know where my trucks are and when there are where), put new tool boxes and tools on trucks and engrave truck number on each tool sockets, rachet, screww drivers etc. (tired of no one know what happen to tools and crew leader will be responsibility for them and will pay for them if they are lost), start having weekly staff meeting (better communication with crew leaders and laborers) Give me some feedback on this and if some of you guys already do some of these and how it's working.

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Making crew leader pay for a lost socket is silly. It is going to happen and there is nothing you can do. I'm solo and I bought a new 250+ socket and wrench set in march and haven't see my 3/8 drive ratchet in two months. Who knows where it is. Tell them they are going to be resopociable for lost tools but in your head I would give them a dollar limit of say $50 per year of lost or damaged tools before you flip you lid. Weekly meetings are good but daily communications with crew leaders about your thoughts and b!tches will help them do there jobs better. Lastly I don't know why you don't have a time clock for your guys yet. By the sounds of it you have several guys. Be careful on what kind of toolbox you buy cuz a lot of them look water tight but are not and if you get water in them all your tools will rust up in no time. Good luck

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

The time clock is a MUST .... one of the best cost effective little tools fore the multiple employee ...on an off note when I got a paper folder ....fore invoicing ...oh boy what a god send not having to fold 200 invoices

I like the tool idea ....see how it flys .... I did the dedicated 2 cycle last year ..... everyone has their own 2 cycle .... they still share sometimes ....n by heat of the summer it seems to have "given way" .... than every Jan we do the big "shop n trucks" clean up .... pull everththing out of the shop .... re-do the tools ..as they grow legs into other trucks

Ya .... employees are like children ....sometimes ....

Here's a link to a "time clock calculator" .... I got one of those basic digital ....which stamps date, day time in -out but not the time each day or hours used .... but this link is quick ... I'll up-grade when I get more than 6 guys

http://www.1728.com/timecard.htm

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Next year, I'll be changing my first set of tires myself.
    The mowers won't be a problem, but I'm somewhat dreading the car :laugh:

And I still need to find some kinda economical way of balancing road wheels.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

If the tools get to be a problem, do what the mechanics shops do. They have to bring their own tools. I don't run lawn crews as I am solo or +1 with my wife helping out but I am a Lieutenant on the FD and supervise people in that job. You sound like you are on a the right track and are getting more actively involved with the business. Workers are like a rope, you can pull them but you cant push them. Good Luck.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno yet.... I'm still thinking about it.

Probably routing and scheduling changes for sure.
    I think I going to be in a position there to make changes for significant streamlining.

7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

well be overhauling the biz but our main change is employess this year and past years weve had our friends and they werent the best or most reliable now were going to have guys who know more and want to work

8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I'm going to either dump, or raise prices for any lawn that requires me to get out a 21" mower. We make less money and have more operator fatigue. People with gates less than 36" or stairs that access lawn look out!

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I won't even bother with gates my 48" won't fit through, as that is my smallest deck.
    And I started with 52's, thou I like the 48" a lot better, still I will never own a small deck mower for the exact reasons you just mentioned.

Now please help me convince the rest :laugh:

10. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

raise prices for the lawns that are below my onsite $/hour average of all my lawns.. so that they are in line with the average.

hang as many of the 7500 doorhangers that i have as i can..
    i got them printed with a line for my quote on the lawn, so i cant really have anyone help me pass them out since i wouldnt trust anyone else to do the quoting...
    i do think that i will get alot more response this way though. advertisement without a price doesnt hold much sway... at least thats what im thinking.