Whats eating my apple tree

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dlandscaping, Jun 8, 2008.

1. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

I moved into a new house last fall and there is an apple tree. This year I have noticed the leaves are being eaten, not just from the outside. I dont know about trees so does anyone have any suggestions. The eating is not just from the edge of the leaf, there are holes in some leaves. A few of the leaves are shriveling also. I can take a picture if you need one. The tree is about 25' in diameter

2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Apple trees need quite an Intensive spray program.

Leafrollers will curl the leaves, and Aphids will crumble them. I am unsure about if Cankerworms eat on apple leaves......They eat holes in the middle of leaves on many Trees in the spring, soon after they leaf out....especially near forest tree lines.

Get yourself some Home Orchard spray By Bonide. Look up "Apple Spray Programs" on Yahoo for Mass.

You will learn quickly how involved they can be.......I personally enjoy it.

You can also talk to one of your nearby apple growers for some Quality Advice.

Spray the tree now with the Home Orchard Spray, and expect to spray bi-weekly thru august. Apple Scab (Disease) is not good :dizzy:

Do Not Use Ornamental Pesticides.

Pete

3. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, also you might want to try a fungicide, I have had alot of problems lately with different fruit tree curling diseases, just watch the label as mentioned in the last post, need one labled for edible and not just ornamental fruit trees.

4. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

When they say spraying oil before it flowers, what kind of oil is it. I looked at a few sights and know some active ingredients but do not know their package names.

5. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

PureSpray 10E. Petro Canada.

Pete

6. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

I use Damoil. Oil won't kill caterpillars, however. It's good for aphids and mites and agelids and young scales. Check the tree very thoroughly to find what you need to kill. If it's caterpillars (Maybe even the tent variety) use bacillus thuriengensis, or BT. It's non-toxic to everything but insect larvae, including you.