1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats everyone doing now?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Jan 9, 2014.

1. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Buying a brand new mini a size bigger than what i needed was the best thing I've purchased for the business. We put about three times more hours on our mini last year, we typically only use a skid to move pallets, back fill walls and fix lawn damage.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

My skid only gets about 200/year too. The side work is more for filler. I want to run a rip and equip crew(makes sense in my head). One or two guys just ripping out jobs so the skilled guys show up and start producing, not doing demo. The rip and equip wouldnt be busy full time with my stuff so i would have them doing the trenching projects. Not hugely profitable but more of a hourly or daily rate and lower risk.

Buying was the only way, i cant stand spending money on rentals especially when i only need it an hour or two here, three or four hours on thursday etc. i got a good deal and could get out from under it fairly quick and be ok if something crazy happened since i dont have a payment. I only have about 25 hours operating experience, nothing like jumping in with both feet to make you have to perform!
  3. alldayrj

Here she is with her first victim. 10"/12" dia, dead two years.
    Tak tb016 2006 with 1600 hrs from united rentals. 300 hrs on new tracks, retractable undercarriage, qc and 12" and 18" bucket
  4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you brought some corn to feed those deer!
  5. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

It's been in the 30s all day and sleeting... Y'all can have all this! I'll take humid summers any day over this!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Amen to that.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. dieselfuel

dieselfuel LawnSite Member

I'm drinking a white russian and waiting on my chili to finish
  8. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Al, you MUST plumb a line, maybe one there already, but you gotta put a thumb on there. That there machine is like your hand with no thumb. Trust me.
  9. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes a thumb is a must and worth every penny!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. alldayrj

Its plumbed but the aux is only on off like for a breaker utilizing the foot pedal. My dealer said they could adjust it for use with a thumb. Any suggestion for a manufacturer? I need a weld on kit i believe since it has no mounts.
    Ive never used a thumb before but i can only imagine it makes this thing 1000% better for loading broken concrete pieces, ripping roots etc.