What's everyone's thoughts about borrowing pictures with permission?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justmjc, Nov 16, 2003.

1. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering what anyone thought about asking permission, about borrowing pictures similar to the quality cut that they can reproduce?

I know many of use can not reproduce John's famous strips, but many of use can reproduce a nice quality cut with standard blade that leave a slight strip. Since I've noticed this has become a big issue lately, I wanted to know what everyone thought about say for example, someone asking for permission to use their picture under certain guidelines for flyer use.

Something like such (and this is just off the wall ideas).....Notation stating that the quality of service are as shown in the picture. Pictures provided curtousy of "Joe Smo - Whom ever work it is" I figured that some sort of agreement or some sort of curtousy $ arrangement could be arranged.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm changing my flyer for next years advertising. I'd like to take 1 or 2 nice homes/lawns and insert it into my flyer with the similar quality of cut that I provide. Nothing more. Ignorant me....never thought to take any pictures of the homes I service, and now I find myself with less than green grass and leafless trees. Not to picture perfect. That or my alternative is to get photoshop and alter the pictures of my accounts.

I had always run flyers that did not potray actual homes, but either clipart or just text lettering and I want a more professional look.

Any comments or suggestions or does it sound stupid? I figured it's much more up front and honest than someone jumping on the site, swiping someones work and claiming it to be their own.
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I would'nt want to claim someone elses work most people only see the photo not the print that says it not yours. imo i would rather have a photo shop put a few leave on MY work than use someone elses. What about your own home or a family member that you mowed in the summer?
  3. justmjc

I was thinking about that also. I think I have a few photos lying around somewhere. I just wanted to throw the idea around. If I can't find a photo, I'm just going to advertise the way I use to and snap some photos next season. Plenty of them too. Provide I have customer approval.
  4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Someone asked me if they could use one of my pictures for a flier and I did not have a problem with it.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Another LS member and I trade pictures, written material, contract wordage, etc., all the time. We don't have any problem with that...he helps me and I help him.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly,... it's been done on here many of times. I remember Eric letting people use his pics if they asked him. He even told me that if I wanted to use some, let him know, so he could send higher resolution ones. But then again, look who we are talking about, here. That's just the way he was - anything to help.

God, I wish he was still around........
  7. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

You can use mine (I don't think you want one) if you ask, but sometime in the future I'll want something in return, not $$$
  8. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, I think it’s false advertising to use someone else’s photos as a promotion to your business whether you have their approval or not.
    If you can produce the same quality of work as what others can on this site, and I am sure you can, why not just use your own photos?
    I would be mad as hell if I was a customer paying good money for a job being performed at my home, only to later find out it was not his work. You are opening up yourself to a huge legal can of worms from your customer if he finds out you were not using your work on your advertising. Of course you are opening your self up legally from the owner of the photos you used as well.
    Justmjk, you used photos of lawns with defined stripes as an example of photos you would like to “borrow.”
    If you want lawn stripes like you see in some of the photos on this site, all you have to do is mow in the same direction several times and after three or four mowing's in the same direction, you will be receiving compliments on your abilities as well. Of course using this technique for striping a lawn creates a washboard looking surface on yours or your customers yard over a period of time, but the short-term affects are astonishing.
    Next time you look at some of the photos on this site with defined stripes, look to see it there are stripes going in multiple directions or of there is only one direction of stripes on a yard. I think you see what I mean.
  9. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Your work- your pictures.
  10. justmjc

Well, I guess it's not really the problem with how to create the strips, it's that I have the setup, but the customers I cut want the grass cut really low. Also, the type of grass I service doesn't display strips as well as I'd like. Since I picked up my striper kit very late in the season, I have to believe that might have something to do with the lack of beautiful strips, since the grass is going into hibernation now. Good replies ladies and gentlemen. Glad to hear them.

Ps. Sorry, I forgot. The only reason I asking is because I never thought to take any pics of my own, and for years have used less than professional flyers. Since the season's over, I can only grab leafless trees and lawns not in peak appearance. I do have my customers permission, however, I would have to do some computer manipulation somehow to make the accounts appear as if they were from early summer. That's if I snapped the photos now.