1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What's going on with this lawn

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by BLC1, Mar 17, 2010.

1. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I talked to a lady yesterday who said last year or the year before her lawn looked just as it does now. A guy had come in and top dressed it with soil and planted some grass. All was fine a for a bit and now its back to looking the same. It's only the area under the tree. I took a few pics to help. Let me know what you think it going on.

Thanks.

lawn1.jpg

lawn2.jpg

lawn3.jpg

lawn4.jpg

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

kind of looks like grub damage, can you post the pics bigger. if they just replanted grass while the grubs were still feeding then they will eat the new roots also.

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Often it is difficult to compete with a tree, especially maples
    The addition of top soil triggered the tree to make more roots to capture the nutrients that were now available. Trees are very effecient at pulling nutrients from the soil, think of the environment that they typically grow in, the forest.

Who fertilizes the forest, no one. so when you apply nutrients, in this case top soil, they will go after it like a ravenous kid

I would suggest that you give up on the competition and tell her the best bet is to mulch around the tree, the tree will be much happier

I used to frequent another forum for gardeners and the comment most folks made was "don't compete with trees especially maples"

4. BLC1

from Ohio

Is it hard to find grubs this time of the year. I was thinking that was the case at first but the grass that was still there had good roots. It wasn't just pulling out.

Bill, she already has some mulch around the tree and the grass is like that all the way out to the edge of the conopy. I have seen a lot of tree with grass right up to the trunk. I understand its tough to compete but it seems like in most cases grass is able to grow ok.

This tree looks like it has been pruned a lot over the years. Nice looking tree and it's not overly thick where it would be blocking all the sunshine.

5. BLC1

from Ohio

Anybody else have any ideas?

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Bill is right. Maple trees are the worst for growing grass. They also put out mild toxin to help smoother out plant competition around the drip line.

Get rid of the tree ring and make a bigger shade garden around the tree. Otherwise you'll just be fighting it every year.

7. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking a more shade tolerant Grass, like a fesscue. And good fall clean ups.

8. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking a more shade tolerant Grass, like a fesscue.

9. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I think it has AIDS :laughing:

10. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

You're an idiot.