What's going on with this tree ?

Discussion in 'Fertilizers, Pesticides and Diseases' started by User Name Taken, May 5, 2013.

1. User Name Taken

User Name Taken LawnSite Member

Noticed this tree filling out twice as fast at the bottom as the top. Found this about 2' up on the trunk. Small bugs went to runnin' when I flaked off the rotten bark.

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

2. User Name Taken

Bump. I used some Bayer pest control and fertilizer combo until I could find out what I have going on here.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

You have a dieing trunk... do you have a picture of the crown??? my guess is that it has trouble at ground level...

4. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

I forget how it happens but that can be caused by too much warmth in winter. Especially if it is only showing up on the sunny side of the tree. If the foliage still looks ok the tree will probably survive.

5. User Name Taken

I'll take a picture of the whole thing tomorrow. The bottom half of the foliage has came out as it should but the top has stayed smaller and part of the leaves have turned reddish, not a lot though. I removed all the rotten bark today and coated it with a brush on black tree bandage product. Interesting thing though, when I removed the damaged bark I found what looked to be a red colored ant (large) with a black abdomen.

6. Smallaxe

That is actually known as "Sun Scald" and happens when the bark is extremely cold and a bright sun reflectes off the snow and warms one part of the bark, which expands and splits becuz of tempd differences...

To the OP:
    Did the bark peel off all the way around the tree???

7. User Name Taken

No, only what's shown in the picture. we didn't have any snow really this year.

8. Smallaxe

Those pix were not taken this Spring so the snow fall or the kind of winter we had this past winter would be irrelevant... that is, unless your corn is ready to pick now... :)

Another common occurance with maple bark is that with a lot of water the bark can crack and the microbes make a home and live off the moisture flowing through the cambium... who knows what the microbe is,but getting rid of the bark and allowing the healthy bark to grow over it for the future is a good idea...

You did check to see that the rot was not caused by the buried crown ,,, correct???

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Actually what you just described is known as frost cracking.

@User Name Taken

What's up with the tie, and don't you think it might be more than coincidental that this is occurring around the tie?

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Come on man. For your benefit, and everyone else's.

http://www-plb.ucdavis.edu/labs/rost/Tomato/Stems/secstem3.html

That area is nowhere near the crown.