Whats going on with this yard?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gulfjoe, Sep 15, 2013.

1. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an issue with my lawn... On the East side of my home which gets about 7-8 hours sun each day is turning brown. I really don't think that it is going dormant, because the rest of my yard is pretty green. I am using a Lesco 28-0-3 fert about every 45 days. I have irrigation and I am watering 4 days a week and have plenty of coverage. I know I am going to have to do some soil tests to figure out what is going on but I was hoping someone might be able to look at it and be able to say "Hey that's...."

I also have a weed that has been coming into my yard fro my neighbors lawn... Celsius at the med rate and a surfactant is not touching it. any clue what it might be?

Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

photo-4 (2).jpg

photo-3 (2).jpg

photo-2 (2).jpg

photo-1 (2).jpg

photo (5).jpg

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

The weed is lezpadeeza. Celsius according to the label would need to be used at high rate. Metsulfuron would be better but it is kind of late in the year.

On the irrigation are you sure you are putting down enough water? 4 days a weed doesn't really mean a whole lot. Do an audit (catch cans) and actually know how much water is being put down. In my area I find 90% of systems are defficiently designed and it starts showing up this time of year.

You have bermuda right? It is starting to slow down this time of year. Can't really take a lot off the top and expect it to recover.

3. gulfjoe

Posted via Mobile Device

4. gulfjoe

Do you think it looks like to much water or not enough? I say that because on the opposite side of the house where my AC unit is and the drip line is looks very similar to this but doesn't get near the same amount of sun.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jds912

jds912 LawnSite Member

Weed looks like spurge. Celsius at high rate with.25% surfactant should get it. What kind of grass is it? How many pounds of nitrogen so far this year? Lots of variables.

6. gulfjoe

Excuse my inexperience, I have a Bermuda lawn. Roughly 10,000 sqft, I have applied a 50# bag of Lesco 28-0-3 5 times this growin season.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. jds912

jds912 LawnSite Member

How many pounds of N per thousand square feet, per app. If you dont know, what kind of spreader areyouusing?

8. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

That weed looks like spurge to me and it can be difficult to control. As for the lawn, it appears to be heat damage but it's tough to tell from those pic's. You say that you're watering for four days per week but for how long? I've seen instances where people are watering every day for 15 minutes and their lawns are burning up because the water is evaporating before it can get down to the roots. Something to think about.

Also, if you're using 28-0-3 on a 10,000 sq. ft. lawn, you should be applying that at a rate of 3.57 pounds of product per 1,000 sq. ft. to equal 1 pound of Nitrogen per 1,000 sq. ft. Thus, that would be 35.7 pounds of the 50 pound bag with each application. If you've applied the 1 pound of Nitrogen per 1,000 sq. ft. with each of the five applications, you've already hit the 5 pounds per 1,000 sq. ft. for each growing season that is usually at or near the recommendations from most universities.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  9. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Is that particular zone the last to run? Like others mentioned evaporation, etc... all could be part of the problem.

10. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

The spurge I see on my lawns usually have compacted soil. Next Spring try doing a good aeration.