1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's GOOD help worth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IrishHank, May 10, 2001.

1. IrishHank

IrishHank LawnSite Member

I currently have a job in the sales indutry, but I am now going back to maintenace so I can enjoy the freedoms of self employment. In the past I worked for a few different companies. As a laborer and even a lead I never really got above the $10.00 an hour mark. What's a good man worth. When hiring a helper what should I look for? Suggestions...
  2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

most companies pat around $8 a hour but thats for someone that don't know shat about the lawn and it shows. all the big fertilizing companies and cutting companys are doing poorer and poor jobs.

if you get someone that knows what he's doing and he's good, i wouldn't have a problem paying him more than $10 an hour. some guys up here with certifactions get around $18 a hour. just to give you an idea
  3. A good man is worth about $30,000 a year, $14 to $16 per hour.

I work alone, but an lco I know said his best year for profit was when he paid the extra money for quality help. The downside was that he spent more time as a manager and salesman to keep those guys working. He preferred the hands on/doing the work himself. Less money, more happy. :)