1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's good on a hustler?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chadwhick, Aug 26, 2006.

1. chadwhick

chadwhick LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a 60" hustler. What do you all have to say about a rear discharge deck as opposed to a side. all I've ever used is side.
    and also between kawasaki liquid cooled or the kohler 30 hp. What's your experience?
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard more negative than positve about the 30 hp Kohler but they may have the carb problems worked out. I have no experience with the rear discharge or Kawasaki's even though they are very popular. I would get the 27 or 28 efi. I know the Hustler takes alot of power or at least the super Z with the large pumps/motors. You could test drive the Kaw to see if it has enough torque for your purposes. I think the rear discharge is mainly for special applications and doesn't seem to be as popular. The only reason I can see for the rear discharge is maybe schools, playgrounds or other palaces you wanted to limit the discharge. I'm no expert but these are my thoughts. Lots of LCO's in FL like the Hustler. Seems like the XR7 is doing very well there. Good luck. I'm sure some Florida LCO's will help you with your decision here at Lawnsite.
  3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have a 30 and a 27 on 60" Super Z's, and I prefer the 27. I would go EFI next time. I am not big on a Kaw, but woul opt for it over the 30. The 27 seems every bit as powerful and does not die like the 30 does when not warmed throughly. The 27 on the Old unit is much more responsive with little lag time compared to the 30.

The Super Z is built like a beast. Very heavy duty.
    The Super Z has a very open deck platform, much more convenient for getting on and off without obstruction when compared to any other mowers.
    The Super Z's are open so that you are not banging your legs on a deck height adjuster, or a parking brake as well. Safer as well as convenient.
    The parking brake in the handles is outstanding, and a feature sure to be on every mower one the patant runs out.
    Stainless steel hydro lines with lifetime warranty's on them for leaks or failures.
    The Super Z's have full two year parts and labor warranty's on the entire unit.
    Ths Super Z's come stock with a nice suspension seat.
    Hustler is backed by a wonderful company with a small town feel that will be quick to get any potential problem you might have dealt with in the best way possible.
    Hustler maintains a rep. on this site that has been simply great! When your dealer is closed, or the factory is done for the day, PJ may be on line to give you a prompt reply, or will get you in touch with the right person pronto.

It is a great company that makes great products.

They have a new deck this year that needs some tweeking for the guys up north, but everyone in the south is pleased as far as I can tell.

I don't think you could go wrong if you buy a Hustler mower.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

We had a 60" SuperZ rear discharge as a loaner a month or so ago.

I HATED it!!! It basically just lays the clippings down behind you, and if it's thick it looks like CRAP!!! I was VERY disappointed in it. My dealer said they mainly sell those to municipalities who must worry about throwing clippings onto roadways or slinging stuff toward people.
  5. chadwhick

chadwhick LawnSite Member

thanks for the info. I was wondering about the 30 hp since it is new. What is efi? ya, the rear discharg sounds more for safety. any other suggestions for buying a new mower?
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Down there if your buying a Huslter a 60" or 66" with the 28 hp EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) would be my first choice. I would get the Super Z instead of the regular Z because of the bigger pumps and wheel motors. As a bonus you get a full suspension seat with the Super Z. As a second choice get the 27 hp Kohler and 60" deck. The EFI will save you gas and have more power. I have the 27 because the mechanics here (rural area) dont like to work on EFI but that shouldn't be a problem in FL.
  7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

It's the fuel feeding system all of your vehicles have more than likely. I just got off of a 66" 28 efi and it is a cutting piece of machinery, I bought the 28 efi to give it a try because I had never owned one. I had several Super Z's but never one with the 28 efi and it runs like a sewing machine. It will crank with the throttle in any position with 2 revolutions of the motor and no choke because it does not have one. The motor feels strong because there is no throttle lag when you hit a tougher area to cut you don't feel a governor react. I already have 123 hrs. on this new mower and I only cut my personal property and from what I have seen so far I wouldn't even consider buying another mower that did not have electronic fuel injection, it is also easier on fuel than the two previous 27's I owned. I had a friend in the electronic business stop buy this afternoon and was looking and asking questions about the mower so I cranked it up and slammed the sticks forward on my asphalt driveway and it took off, he said my God that thing looks like it is fuel injected and I said you are right it is. You don't want a rear discharge unless you have a special application, you want like I promise.
  8. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 60 inch 27 horse and love it.
  9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

My hustler dealer here has had numerous failures of the gear box on the back of the 27hp liquid cooled horizontal shaft Kawisakis. Why any manufacturer would put a horzontal shaft engine on any Z mower I just dont understand.
  10. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

That must be why they changed to a 26hp vertical shaft L/C Kawi.

Just for a reference my 30hp Kohler gets 1.3 to 1.4 gal per hr. on a 66 mulching deck. But it runs pretty good, I am waiting on the choke fix, sometimes on a sidehill it will sputter but the fix is coming.

Tacoma have you checked you GPH on the 27 Kohler yet??

My Exmark 22hp Kawi L/C 60" gets .9 to 1 gal per hr.